salus rt500rf - lights on, but not firing up boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, saw previous thread similar but it didn't answer my question, which is that I have fitted the unit, set program and get both red and green lights when thermostat is lower than required temperature. So all looks good, however the boiler does not kick into life. When I bypass the timer and connect power feed directly to boiler connections then boiler kicks into life. I assume this therefore means I have a faulty unit??? Or am I doing something wrong??
Thanks for any/all advice.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the prompt response. My boiler is an external oil fired one. Internally the wires I have are a std (old) electrical cable which has black, red and yellow/green coming through the wall. I also have a 3amp fused plug connection to my power socket. I connected live and neutral from my power plug, then connected the red wire to the COM socket and the black to the NO socket. Then I used a connector to connect the earth wires. I will go outside to look at the boiler and update. When I tested taking the unit out I used a std 3 connector and connected the live to the red, the neutral to the black and the earths, when this was plugged in and switched on the all worked! So boiler is ok.

Just checked, boiler is a firebird popular 120. Ps the old cable through the wall is from my boiler into the house.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Can you post a picture of the boiler wiring panel showing what's connected there?

Hopefully there's a cable which is "permanently" supplying mains to power the boiler from a fused spur.

In addition I'm assuming there is another cable to connect the thermostat receiver to the boiler.

Last edited:
The connection to the boiler is the red, black, earth one front the thermostat reciever, the receiver gets its power from the plugged in cable I mention.

This fitting is an upgrade from a std timer switch to the salus. The intent is to use the same wiring as worked with the original timer.

When I connect one of these up to an existing system, with a wiring control centre and external prog/timer for HW & CH, I do it in such a way that the heating side of the prog needs to remain constantly on this means I can put the Salus receiver at the position of the old roomstat and not have to make a lot of changes in the wiring centre... It does of course depend on the number of cores to the old roomstat!

Even though prog shows constantly on... The times and temps are now handled by the salus!

Pics /schematic of your set up would help us help you :D(y)

The connection to the boiler is the red, black, earth one front the thermostat reciever, the receiver gets its power from the plugged in cable I mention.

This fitting is an upgrade from a std timer switch to the salus. The intent is to use the same wiring as worked with the original timer.

OK that's a bit clearer. You already have Live and Neutral connected to the Salus Receiver and that seems to be working OK.

With the Salus power unplugged...

connect a short wire link from Live to "COM".

Now connecting the boiler cable to the Salus...

Live goes to "NO",

Neutral doubles up in the same hole as the existing Neutral.

Then very carefully join together the two Earths (The boiler needs a good safe Earth) and keep them well away and insulated from the other cables in the Salus.

Last edited:
Great, thanks for the response. Can I just check, connect wall plug cables to live and neutral (power in) then take boiler neutral to same connection as power in neutral. Live connection then has direct connection to COM. Then boiler live connects to NO. finally use a connector block to pass through earths. Did I understand correctly?

Jack Thom, you are a star, all wired and working!!! As per your advice. Very much appreciated, I don't have to sleep in the doghouse tonight!!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back