salvaging victorian tiles?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've a large expanse of red Victorian tiles with Ruabon Adamantine Tile written on them, about 6"x3"in size laid in a pattern like:

ll=ll=
=ll=ll

if that makes sense.

they're incredibly well bedded on some kind of white mortar type substance. Building age is 1926

at present the technique I'm using to lift them is:

place a bolster along the long edge at more vertical than 45 degrees and pound it 2 or 3 times with a lump hammer until i see the dust on the tile surface jump
Pull at the tile with fingers, if it wiggles wiggle it while pulling away from the others
If it doesn't budge, use a rubber mallet to drive the bolster under the tile and lever up. Try removing the bolster and wiggle again

some come up easy, some break in half or chip a corner. I'm probably breaking 15% of them at the moment

is there a better technique i can use? Is there some kind of acid i can pour that will dissolve whatever the mortar is? The brickwork uses lime mortar, might the tiles be bedded on the same?

Sponsored Links
1926 a bit late for Victorian ;) But you`re probably going to struggle - often tiles were bedded on strong cement /sand mix . even back in Viccy times - cement was used on the London Sewers :idea:

Yeah..it was built by the council - they probably took a while to come up to speed..

Brick acid then? :)

Sponsored Links
I've a large expanse of red Victorian tiles with Ruabon Adamantine Tile written on them, about 6"x3"in size laid in a pattern like:

ll=ll=
=ll=ll

if that makes sense.

they're incredibly well bedded on some kind of white mortar type substance. Building age is 1926

at present the technique I'm using to lift them is:

place a bolster along the long edge at more vertical than 45 degrees and pound it 2 or 3 times with a lump hammer until i see the dust on the tile surface jump
Pull at the tile with fingers, if it wiggles wiggle it while pulling away from the others
If it doesn't budge, use a rubber mallet to drive the bolster under the tile and lever up. Try removing the bolster and wiggle again

some come up easy, some break in half or chip a corner. I'm probably breaking 15% of them at the moment

is there a better technique i can use? Is there some kind of acid i can pour that will dissolve whatever the mortar is? The brickwork uses lime mortar, might the tiles be bedded on the same?

Try vibrating the substrate near the tiles with a blunt SDS chisel - this might help to shake them loose if they are still partly attached. But only try this if you don't mind damaging the floor under the tiles.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back