Samsung 50” picture gone

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have an 8-10 years old 3D plasma tv , turned on just now and 5 seconds later lost picture but not sound.
Checked various feeds but nothing.
Worth repairing or do I replace.?

Sponsored Links
It kind of depends on the fault, the cost to repair, and whether you use 3D still.

Have a look on Google and Youtube for faults your model of set. If it's something well known such as a dead board, and you fancy a bit of a go yourself at swapping it out, then you might get away with a repair for £30-£70.

The chances are that any new replacement set will be a UHD 4K product. There really isn't that much of a choice left in Full HD sets any more; or not of any quality at least. UHD 4K is new tech, but that can be a double-edged sword, particularly if you still watch a bit of Standard Def. It's also the case that budget UHD 4K TVs can look like a backwards step in general picture quality compared to the TV they're replacing. Avoid the cheaper brands and stick to the Samsung, Sony, LG, Panasonic sets in the middle of each manufacturer's range. The rest of what's in the market is mostly just badge engineered stuff.

If this or any other posts helped you then pay the authors the compliment of hitting the thanks button. It shows your appreciation and marks the reply for those looking for answers in the future.

I would avoid Panasonic. They have had serious issues in the past and customer service did not want to know, and tried blaming anyone else but themselves.

I ditched a 6 year old Samsung where the screen went recently, just out of the John Lewis 5 year warranty which was annoying but I would say that 8 years ain't bad nowadays, unfortunately. I ended up with a Sony, as expected the software is rubbish and the TV is prone to locking up or sometimes just turning itself off or whatever, especially when using the crappy glitchy built in Apps, Netflix and the like. But I think that pretty much applies to all TV's nowadays. I wonder if you can actually buy a decent TV now. I don't actually rate them much these days but at least John Lewis seem OK on the price of TV's and do chuck in the 5 year guarantee and I did get a screen replaced by them on a different Samsung a few years ago.

Sponsored Links
Looks like insurance job , on close inspection ( usually sit 4-5m from tv) screen is damaged , 3 year old thru a wooden brick at it yesterday .

Are 3D tv still around difficult to find anyone stocking?

Last edited:
3D TVs were a gimmick from the start - looks like the manufacturers have realised this.

3D TVs were a gimmick from the start - looks like the manufacturers have realised this.
Thought so ,using it as a bargaining chip to get a better deal with new TV, insurance use another company to replace TV and they obviously want to minimise the cost.

Our Samsung LED TV is coming up 9 or 10 years old now, been eyeing up replacements but it just won't die!.

I'll have another Samsung, bougt one for my Son's bedroom recently as well.

Our Samsung LED TV is coming up 9 or 10 years old now, been eyeing up replacements but it just won't die!.

Our BeoVision 5 (plasma) is now 16 years old. It is on from 6 in the morning until 11 pm. That's roughly 99 thousand hours of usage.

Just an update .
After offering £450 then £600 the insurance coughed up £979 and We bought a nice big 65” replacement .

That's good news, as long as they don't hammer your premium next year!

Our BeoVision 5 (plasma) is now 16 years old. It is on from 6 in the morning until 11 pm. That's roughly 99 thousand hours of usage.

18 years old now and still working. That said, it is now only on for about about 8 hours a day. It was only on that long to keep the dogs happy during the day. Regrettably, two of them are "no longer with us", the remaining one stays with a neighbour from 7am to 2.30pm.

Kudos for finding a new insurer though

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back