Samsung fridge freezer not freezing properly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Freezer not freezing properly​

Hi everyone.
As title suggests, Samsung fridge freezer model no rsh5sbbp.

I noticed recently it's not working properly, ie lollies melting and bread softening. Seems to be even throughout the freezer.
Emptied and switched it off last night. Cleaned out inside and defrosted the pipes, and cleaned out the coils at the rear.
Checked on it this morning and there's no improvement.
The temperature on the front says -18⁰ but it clearly isn't. I did notice after turning it back on the temperature dropped from 8, 7, 6 etc but the last I noticed it was 2⁰ and then suddenly -18 in the space of 30-45 minutes.
It's also been a bit louder than normal recently, particularly the last couple of days. Humming noise.
Before I call someone out, what parts are the most likely culprits that I could try to replace myself?
Should be noted it's about 13-14 years old
Fridge side seems to be working fine.

*Edit* the compressor fan is running. The humming noise seems to be coming from the compressor. Turning it off and on (again) at the plug I can hear a clicking. Before I turned it off the temperature on the front said -18. Now I've turned it back on, the humming noise has stopped and it says -5. It was turned off for about 20 seconds.

Evaporator fan is running.

There's a red led light on the control panel on the top but I don't know if that's supposed to be there.

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• 170017232510123355897588611688.jpg
    170017232510123355897588611688.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You said "Cleaned out inside and defrosted the pipes", does that mean the entire heat exchanger behind the rear panel in the freezer ?
How long was it off for, how much water came out, did you put a bowl of hot water in it and leave the door open ?
Sorry but it's not clear what you did, maybe my bad.

I had a similar product and it kept freezing up solid, turned out to be the defrost heater gone.

No I didn't do that, I only left it to defrost until the ice visible on the pipework (I think that's what you mean by the heat exchanger behind the rear panel?) inside had melted and the the time it took me to clean and hoover out the back. Maybe an hour? I didn't do much because it's supposed to be a frost free freezer. Would leaving it longer help you think?

Where is it? In the house, or in an unheated area?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back