SAMSUNG OVEN BF641FST No Power

Fix was to put that little thermal cut off device in the freezer. If the oven has overheated it will continue to cut off the electricity even when the temperature is back to normal.

Anyway thought I would simplify the how to for this:
1. Turn off power supply to oven at the fuse box so you don't electrocute yourself.
2. Pull out the oven from whatever fitting you have it in. This is easier with two people.
3. From the top of the oven remove the covering metal. The top it split into two panels one above the dials and one at the back. You need to remove the one at the front. There are two screws holding it in place about half way back.
4. Once you have the cover off you will see something like the second image in the original post.
5. The big black thing with the copper coil on it is a fan. Below that on the slope of metal is the thermostat/cut off device. Its a black circular device with two long white plugs coming out of the left and the right of it. You can see it in the second image above.
6. Take the two white plugs out of the device and unscrew it.
7. put the device in the freezer. I put it in for about an hour
8. Put the device back, plug it back in, screw the top front cover back on, put the oven back in its fitting and turn power back on
9. If you are lucky the time will come on again.

Hope this helps someone. Seems like a common problem. Got two questions if anyone is ever back this way: Does anyone know why the oven overheats at all? Also does anyone know why putting the thermostat in the freezer "resets" it?

Cheers

Robert

Sponsored Links
Bi-metal, sometimes freezer trick works but not always gauranteed with all thermostats.
Some are designed to reset by themselves, others not.
I think on your oven its actually a safety cut out so designed not to reset itself, afterall its asafety device and your right to enquire why this is happening, I wonder what temp this stat operates at?
Failing fan?
Not unusual for fans to fail, bearings, coil etc...or could be intermittent.

Hi there

Someone could tell me, what is the function of the panel right at the 230v power supply? There is a blue korean capacitor (pcx2 337) and an inductor on this panel. It is directly where the electricity comes into the oven.
I have a bf641fst oven which is used only rarely, bought some years ago and was not built in. I made today pie, as it was ready, the oven was not unplugged. In the evening I was reading in the room when I heard a scary noise. Went out, electric arc at the back of the oven (beyond the cover) then darkness in the house (relay off). I unplugged immediatelly and went to switch on the relay. OK, lights again in the kitchen, and this stinky electrical smell. I screwed off the back of the oven. There is this panel, fixed in a black plastic frame. There is power in (blue and brown) and power out with plugs, those are not so thick and go forward (to the vents or to the main panel...don´t know).
The panel is near the blue thick cable (power in) a bit black, however it seems me as the blue and brown (phase and zero) should had a short circuit (but how?). The underside of the panel is OK, no damages or burns where the components are soldered.

Well, I had th idea, that my bad cat just was sitting near the oven, he is very curious about those gadgets, and, maybe ****ed into the unit, directly on the blue cable. I`m not shure, but he was running away when I came out of the room and the electric arc was seen. It is a luck, that he didn´t get an electric shock, if he was the "guilty". But, I cannot prove it. At least there is a ventilation grill ant the back of the oven right at that power cable.

What is the function of this panel? I`m just afraid that the whole oven is away when this happened. I dont see a fuse or something similar to defend the unit from such situations....

Thanks for your help

Kind regaards from Hungary

Sponsored Links
So this is the noise filter. I saw a similar in a Samsung microwave oven but didn´t know wht is this. The only question is: if its gone wrong, can be the rest of the unit healthy, or is there a chance that after replacing the filter the oven remains dead? Or just a queastion: however it´s probably not a good idea. What about to cut out this damaged filter and to test the oven if it works at least?

It is possible the oven will be fine but just as much chance it is not.

You could bypass the filter just to prove whether or not the oven is still working but not adviseable as a long term solution.

Well,I will bypass it and will take a look, what happens. When the clock comes, maybe I have luck. In this condition it makes only a bang and the relay goes off. But what caused this yesterday evening.... maybe the cat, maybe DE?
I have a very old, re-cabled dashlamp in the living room. Some years ago I replaced all the conventional bulbs to energy efficient (not LED) ones,
Once I went to the living room, and in the darkness I realized that the energy efficient lights have a flashing light just like lightning beyond the horizont.
I thought it remained some electricity in a capacitor or something, but some days later I went into the dark room and this was to be seen again.

At the point of the yesterdays affair the only gadgets were switched on :
-a world receiver radio in the kitchen with an AC/DC adapter
-a mobile charger
-a laptop charger
- one or two energy efficient lights

I have never imagined that something can happen.

I grilled some cheese on toast the other night. When it was done I turned the function selection knob to off, and a short time after I noticed the oven power had cut off. The control panel was too hot to touch and the heat it was giving off was immense.

The next day I changed the fuse in the plug; there was no change. I Googled it and found this thread.

I took a look inside, and the PCB was fine on both sides; there were no scorch marks, and all the components looked fine.

As per the useful comments I found here, I removed the cut off thermostat and put it in the freezer for half an hour, refitted and to our delight the oven was working.

Just want to say thanks very much for the info, a very useful thread to have stumbled across indeed, and saved us £50+ for calling someone out!

Thats good to hear but there will be a reason why the thermostat was triggered, build up of grease or failing thermostat (not cut out soon enough so oven got too hot), or some other reason. So don't be surprised if it happens again.
You may be lucky and its a one off occurrence but monitor cooking times and temp, if anything appears to be unusual it will need further investigation.

Hope never to hear from you again (in the nicest possible way).

Fix was to put that little thermal cut off device in the freezer. If the oven has overheated it will continue to cut off the electricity even when the temperature is back to normal.

Anyway thought I would simplify the how to for this:
1. Turn off power supply to oven at the fuse box so you don't electrocute yourself.
2. Pull out the oven from whatever fitting you have it in. This is easier with two people.
3. From the top of the oven remove the covering metal. The top it split into two panels one above the dials and one at the back. You need to remove the one at the front. There are two screws holding it in place about half way back.
4. Once you have the cover off you will see something like the second image in the original post.
5. The big black thing with the copper coil on it is a fan. Below that on the slope of metal is the thermostat/cut off device. Its a black circular device with two long white plugs coming out of the left and the right of it. You can see it in the second image above.
6. Take the two white plugs out of the device and unscrew it.
7. put the device in the freezer. I put it in for about an hour
8. Put the device back, plug it back in, screw the top front cover back on, put the oven back in its fitting and turn power back on
9. If you are lucky the time will come on again.

Hope this helps someone. Seems like a common problem. Got two questions if anyone is ever back this way: Does anyone know why the oven overheats at all? Also does anyone know why putting the thermostat in the freezer "resets" it?

Cheers

Robert

Hi Robert,

Just wanted to thank you for this. Worked a treat and probably saved me a fortune in call out charges...long live the Internet, I hope it sticks around.

Thanks again.

Have a similar problem, the main oven does not get hot and the grill is defunked. The top oven takes ages to get hot but everything else appears to work.:(:(:(

Thanks guys this fix just worked on my Samsung oven. Saved £119 to get it fixed. Be aware that there is a second thermostat in the back of the oven I "froze" both just to be sure as it would have been a bit of a pain to do it twice.

Phew, saved my wallet.
Oven overheated last week - too much bread cooking at once.
Oven died totally - no lights/ power.
Found this, removed the three thermal cut offs, froze them for 30 mins and re inserted, no joy.
Removed and tested the three cut off switches with simple circuit tester - one showed up as not complete.
Temporarily shorted the circuit on the faulty switch and oven came back to life.
Ordered new switch for £10.
Hopefully baking again soon.
Many thanks.

Phew, saved my wallet.
Oven overheated last week - too much bread cooking at once.
Oven died totally - no lights/ power.
Found this, removed the three thermal cut offs, froze them for 30 mins and re inserted, no joy.
Removed and tested the three cut off switches with simple circuit tester - one showed up as not complete.
Temporarily shorted the circuit on the faulty switch and oven came back to life.
Ordered new switch for £10.
Hopefully baking again soon.
Many thanks.

thanks very much everyone.. this sorted my oven out.. could only find two of the thermal cut off froze both of them and im back up and running

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back