Samsung washer / dryer unable to switch on

Model number is WD12J8400GW

Ive now taken the top & rear cover off.
Cant see any circuit boards at the rear of the machine

Sponsored Links
With the plug removed from the mains I’ve held the on/off switch down for 5 seconds and then did the same for the play buttons. Plugged in & still nothing.
But I do hear a click when I switch on the mains. If I’m standing at the front of the machine the noise is left hand rear.
Following a large amount of wires I’ve found the circuit board. I’ve attached a photo.
I see what looks like a metal fuse so with my multimeter set to diode test I get a continuity beep when touching both sides.

Attachments

• C74F2759-D428-4BA9-8AC5-0A79EB47FD0A.jpeg
    C74F2759-D428-4BA9-8AC5-0A79EB47FD0A.jpeg
    293.4 KB · Views: 54
  • C00B8CF8-6022-4939-B890-988128B78951.jpeg
    C00B8CF8-6022-4939-B890-988128B78951.jpeg
    360.4 KB · Views: 62
Is there any power at all when you switch on, is the child lock activated?

Blup

Nothing lights up at all.
I’m not sure if the on/off switch should stay in when I press it as I press it in and it comes back out. Even holding it doesn’t show any lights etc.

Remove the top of the machine and locate the power supply board.
You might have to take the rear panel off as well.
Those boards are rubbish and all the wire terminals are not insulated.
The vibrations make them move, arch and slowly burn.
If you find evidence of this, you need to first test that you have power there, use a multimeter.
If you do, dismantle the board and clean it properly until you get shiny brass connectors showing.
Then replace the spade connectors on the supply wires with insulated ones and reconnect all.

Circuit board shown in post above.
All looks clean and all have insulation or a cover attached.

Sponsored Links
Try this before checking board: Remove plug and leave for 10 minutes, then turn on, press and hold down spin options time for 7 or 8 seconds. Press start then turn off. Also check drain filter and impeller are clear.

Blup

Hi
It’s not that it won’t spin etc it just don’t light up any display at all.

So with the board on the floor & connected all up i switch on the mains.
Now not all the time i hear the clicked like i mentioned above.
I do however see a bright led etc on the circuit board which flashes every now & then BUT as i watch it i see it getting dimmer & dimmer & then no more flashin.
I also had seen a green flashing led on the board.

Any advice with regards this led flashing as i would think it should come on & stay on or at least if its going to flash then it shouldnt dim.

It sounds like the switch is faulty

Blup

Did you check the connections to the power supply?
Basically, follow the power cable and see where it connects inside the machine.
That's what I meant.
It's a much smaller board.

The power lead comes into the machine and the live & neutral connect to a large cylinder looking thing. The earth wire connects to the carcass of the machine.
I dont see another board.
Just in the back of the machine to this large cotton reel looking canister then down to the large board as shown.
The item is called a noise filter

Attachments

• 0DDABE2A-9844-4522-B027-ADA4C38224D8.jpeg
    0DDABE2A-9844-4522-B027-ADA4C38224D8.jpeg
    215.5 KB · Views: 54
  • 3562.jpg
    3562.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Kool, then I guess that you need to pull the washing machine out and check for continuity. Google the "service engineer manual" for the machine. There may be an internal glass fuse that has blown. You can often buy replacements from the likes of Halfords.

I would imagine that removing the top will give you sufficient access to the bits that you need to check

Ive removed the power lead & check continuity on the earth, live & neutral & all fine.

I thought to measure the voltage coming OUT of the noise filter.

My voltmeter has on the voltage scale 20, 200 & 600
If i use the 200 scale i see a figure of next to nothing i mean like 0.05 etc
So i thought as it was out of range so i changed to the 600 scale & i get 0.00 on my meter.

I assume using the 600 scale i should get at least 240v ?
Is that correct.

As a test can i unplug the noise filter & then connect the wires meaning to bypass it.
I only then need to see if the display screen comes on, if so i will switch off straight away.

Asking as not sure if the noise filter accepts 240v IN but then say only 100v OUT

Update.
With the multimeter now on AC volts i see 234v going into the noise filter & also 234v coming out of it

Ive now followed the wire from the output of the noise filter down to the circuit board.
Using the voltmeter again i get 231v at the board.

So now ive taken off the front fascia to see if i am getting any power to the display control circuit board.
At the fascia panel i see 2 connectors.
One of then goes to the top of the drum & covered in jelly like silicone as per photo.
The other of which i am holding goes across the top of the drum, down the side to the circuit board.
So i believe this must be the power feed etc.

My issue is now which wire should i be checking to see if power is present ?
The wires are as follows.

GREY
WHITE
BLUE
BROWN
PURPLE
BLACK
WHITE WITH A RED STRIPE

Thanks

Attachments

• 3568.jpg
    3568.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 50
  • 3569.jpg
    3569.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 48

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back