Sand cement rendering on bare brick wall for tiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've taken off an old bonding coat in the bathroom down to the bare brick.

I'm going to and sand cement render on the bare brick.

I'll get the scratch coat on, what I want to know is what type of finish shall i go for for the 2nd coat?

Do I need to level up then lightly scratch the finish so it gives a good key for the tiles? Or just a usual floated off smooth finish?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
As you said, level it/ flatten it, rub it over with the float when it's ready/picked up, nothing too fancy, then leave the render to go off. I've seen the day when we would go over render for tiling with the scratch float, (a float with a small nail or two in it), just protruding through, but enough to scratch to give the render a key. With the tile adhesives you get today, there's no need really to do that, but it wont do any harm doing it that way.
ohh the things you never forget eh.:LOL:

As you said, level it/ flatten it, rub it over with the float when it's ready/picked up, nothing too fancy, then leave the render to go off. I've seen the day when we would go over render for tiling with the scratch float, (a float with a small nail or two in it), just protruding through, but enough to scratch to give the render a key. With the tile adhesives you get today, there's no need really to do that, but it wont do any harm doing it that way.
ohh the things you never forget eh.:LOL:

Did you ever lay any tiles by bedding them in to the s/c mortar RC?

The only ones we ever laid that way Roy were quarry floor tiles. Quarry skirting tiles were also used bedded on with adhesive then grouted. Grouting in the floor tiles was done using a big sqeegee, then once the tiled floor was completed and dry, we'd cover it with sawdust to protect it. We also used bullnosed quarry tiles very often on the window cills too, quite common to do that years ago even in houses,,, remember the Crittal metal window frames, brrrr,,, no double glazing way back then. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
I have hacked loads of old tiles off walls that were bedded in s/c mortar (mainly old bathrooms and toilets), The tiles were nearly half inch thick and they left the imprint of the makers of the tile in the mortar if you were lucky enough to get as much as half a tile off with the hammer and bolster.. No handy "breakers" in them days... ;) It seemed as tho the mortar mix was a one to one mix!!!!

Roy, usually four circles and a name on the back? Worst job to remove. Never fixed them but took off plenty.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back