Sand in the mains gas pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm just getting new heating installed and was told there was no supply. I found a supy but it was uncapped and there was a wee bit water and grit in it. I sucked it out with a wet dry hoover till it dry. My installer has said he's not happy to fit to it as it will come up eventually breaking my boiler. He said to get a 2nd gas supply but he is a bit of worse case synario.
Would it be OK to connect up to the original mains?

Sponsored Links
Can you see all the way down it to make sure its clear, and are you sure its still connected at the other end?

Its not connected to the meter yet, but there is a supply available. SGN came and tested it. It runs under a concrete floor so you can't see down the pipe. Sucked it again today, twice and nothing coming through.

If its not open at the other end, there is a limit to what you are gonna be able to suck out.

I wouldn't gamble a boiler on a potentially dirty supply myself.

Maybe worth posting in the plumbing forum?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your reply.
Its capped inside, under kitchen units but uncapped in the box. I'm waiting for a meter to get installed too .

To be fair to the installer he probably doesn't want to get blamed for breaking the boiler/ possibly standing a repair bill?.

I do understand that totally. I've blew it out again today and sucked through andnothing coming out, at all.

How far is it vertically from the existing (dirty) supply pipe to the boiler?

If you can, reverse flush it (down hill so gravity is on your side) with water to flush out any grit. Then purge it through with nitrogen to flush out any residual water.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back