Sanding between coats

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I'm currently painting the walls in a bedroom and have found that when sanding down the very first coat of emulsion, in preparation for the second coat, small patches of the old very dark wall colour show through where the wall is slightly bumpy. I am using P120 sandpaper. Am I simply sanding too hard or should I maybe apply a couple of coats of emulsion the first time round, without sanding in between, just to build up a thicker layer of paint?

Thanks for your help.
R

Sponsored Links
120 grade..thats a bit much for emulsion walls..stick to an 80 grade, the orange peel finish with the new coats of paint wont justify using 120 grade..I bet its clogging up a lot too

You might be rubbing down to hard or you may just be exposing higher areas

Use 80 grade and a sanding block, rub down in a circular motion, give the wall a good once over and then do your first coat to see how it looks..then either do a bit more rubbing down or filling as neccessary

B&Q Colours Magnolia, nothing special.

Do you think it's necessary to sand down between every coat or perhaps just the last one prior to applying the final coat?

Sponsored Links
Why are you rubbing so hard? All you should be doing is taking off the tiny rough bits.

You do not need to rub down between coats when using Matt or Vinyl Matt.

If you use Soft Sheen or Silk in the same day then there is also no need to rub down.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back