sanding solid teak table

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have inherited an old, abused and unloved large solid teak garden table which I have started to sand by hand. ouch!
The grain is really raised and rough to the touch so I am attempting to at least make it usable.
Lots of dust, even by hand so using a machine is going to be hazardous.

What dust mask would you recommend for this very fine teak dust please?

Sponsored Links
A dust mask would be a good Idea, and whilst the standard white ones with the elastic strap will do the job just fine, the more expensive variants will of course do a better job of filtering out the dust; but as this is a one off project you should have no worries.

Like foxhole said a vacuum will be a big help, not only to help you not breath any of the dust in, but also for the cleaning up after.

Thanks, I was just a little concerned about how fine hardwood dust is. Trust me to choose this really hot weather to complete this project, sweated so much yesterday that a £6 mask I bought yesterday just disintegrated into a soggy tissue mass!

Sponsored Links
If you're using a belt sander (like I do on my jarah garden table) I would also recommend thet you use hearing protection like ear plugs or defenders. It can take a long time to sand the table and you may not notice how loud it is and that your ears are ringing...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back