Sanding walls ready to paint help / orbital sander question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I'm going to have quite a bit of time off with work so i would like to attempt to paint my hall, landing and stairs walls.

I realize that i will need to sand the walls back to achieve a good finish as they are not in the best condition. My friend who's a decorator uses something called a festool dust extractor connected to some orbital thing but hes booked up for months and i really want this doing within next 6 weeks.

I looked up them festool things and they are rather expensive (500 odd just for the vaccume and same again for the orbital attachment), my use will be one time but there is no way i'm doing it by hand as it would take forever and too much mess.

So could anyone recommend me a decent set up? I know very little so i need to know exactly what to buy.

I do have a Henry hoover that i guess could be connected up for dust extraction.

All help appreciated

Sponsored Links
You can use the henry, one down side is that it won't turn on automatically when you turn on the sander. It might be advisable to purchase a longer compatible hose.

eg https://www.amazon.co.uk/Spares2go-...1F6V6PCXERY&psc=1&refRID=Z2HAD81KD1F6V6PCXERY 2.6m for a tenner.

You may also need a hose adaptor eg https://www.amazon.co.uk/Triton-TDP...+stepped+tool&qid=1571733092&s=kitchen&sr=1-3

The one above looks quite rigid, you may need a soft/flexible one depending on the extractor port on the sander.

With regards to sanders. Festool and Mirka are the best but as you are aware, not cheap.

For the walls I would recommend a random orbital sander (they have a round base), for the smaller areas of paint work I would recommend a delta sander (small triangular plate).

A cheap trade rated random orbital with be about £130 (eg Makita or Metabo). Delta sanders- there are dozens of cheap DIY/light trade models to choose from, ie £20-50.

Both of the above use velcro fitting sandpaper, shop around for sandpaper deals. The small packs sold by the likes of Homebase are massively over priced.

All of my sanders are Festool so I can not make any specific recommendations regarding the cheaper sanders, hopefully other forum members can.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back