Sanding Washers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well, it's that time of the year again when the jobs come thick and fast for poor old Humpty. Looking at my posts I've managed to lay low for a whole 9 months without lifting a finger but the missus managed to get her way with me :eek: Anything for a quiet life.

This job involved fixing a leaking tap so out came the trusty toolbox and I even managed to remember I needed to turn the water off albeit with a slight whoopsy spinning the lock valve on the pipe into oblivion before I realised it only needs a quarter turn :rolleyes: Then took about ten minutes to realise that the top of the taps just screw off and don't need to be prised off with a screwy :rolleyes: Ah, well, a few scatches on the taps never harmed anyone.

Out came the washer and surprisingly I had 2 packets in the loft from times gone by, a packet of 13mm and a packet of 3/8. Just a quick match up to see which one it was and jobs a gud 'un. Blast! The 13mm was a bit too big and the 3/8 too small (or was it the other way around). Looks like a visit to the hardware shop is in order, hadn't seen the old boy since 1974 :LOL: Explained my predicament and his reposte was that they don't do them. You'll have to cut it. You're havin' a laugh, right? I said but he wasn't :eek:

Ok, I said having visions of a trip to A+E holding my index finger in my hand having lopped it off with my stanley knife and secondly, wondering if he'd be laughing his head off as I left the shop looking at his secret stash out the back at the size I needed. So, I toddled off to another shop and sure enough got the same reply. Or you can sand it he said. Sand it, eh? I replied eyebrows somewhat raised. Yep he said, SAND IT :eek:

A couple of hours after the 5 minute job started I'm back at home scrabbling around for sandpaper and find something of interest in a cupboard that my missus must've bought at some point. No idea what they are but they are cirular in shape with small round holes in them all the way around. Just to brass me off even more, they were fine grain. One hour later and it slots home with a bit of pushing and prodding and finally I can get the job done. The original washer looked ok as well but something was amiss somewhere as it's working like new again:cool:

So, why on earth is there no size between the ones mentioned above or have I been had? I'm still not sure tbh :LOL: Talk about a job and a half. These are modernish mixer taps or is it done on purpose to make you just buy the whole unit?

Should be back again sometime next year ;)

Sponsored Links
Wow that was a lovely story Humpty

Almost all sizes of washer are available, plumbers merchants to a big range although not on a Sunday ;)

You could have tried turning the old washer over and putting it back in again the other way up (if it was a flat one), that often works. A bit late now, I know, but it would have saved you a lot of grief.

You could have tried turning the old washer over and putting it back in again the other way up (if it was a flat one), that often works. A bit late now, I know, but it would have saved you a lot of grief.

Yep, did try this, always looking to cut corners where DIY is concerned but it didn't have any effect unfortunately. Must be all the reading I've done on here picking up some good tips. Would never have thought of that on my own :)

The odd thing was that I could've jumbled both the good and bad washer up and never spotted the difference in a million years. Strange. Maybe the old washer is still in the tap and I've chucked my sanded one away :LOL: It works properly and the missus is happy (hot water tap on kitchen sink) so I'm in good books for a bit now. She don't need Superman when Superhusband is about :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back