Sandstone brick filler and pointing help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, wonder if anyone could help advise me on the recommended materials to both replace some the pointing on a sandstone wall and also, to replace part of the sandstone brick itself. Some photos attached which may help give a better idea of the job.

Keen to hear opinions on best materials to use, and also where I can get them as I'm keen to get the job done this weekend since it's dry.

many thanks!

Sponsored Links
You have a vermiculated rustication stonework design. Reproducing it is typically done by a mason. Depending on what you want replaced it might be a job for a mason, not a DIY'er.

The cement pointing patches can be carefully chiselled off with a thin stone chisel, and beds and perps can be raked out with a thin 125mm a/grinder blade.

A 3:1 or 4:1 sand:lime mix( no cement) will work. You have such thin beds that it might pay to tape the stone on either side of the beds as the pointing is done?

Removing and replacing the individual stones is done by removing the mortar beds and perps.

There used to be a YouTube vid about exactly your stonework and problems.

A common problem in in Scotland. I have sucessfully used Lithomex, which is a repair mortar used by Historic Scotland in these types of decay issues. Linthomex is available from Masons mortar in Govan which also provide a colour match service to suit your particualr colour of sandstone. That old cement repair has to go as ree said.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back