Sandtoft double roman concrete tile and heavy rain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

What do people think of this? I have a downpipe from the main roof which empties onto a porch roof which in turns empties into a gully.

In heavy rain is there not a possibility of the water coming from the downpipe "overloading" the interlock on the tiles and then getting behind the tiles? The profile and interlock is shown in pic.

It seems a real possibility to me. What do you think?

Thanks,

Bob

ss1.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
If its bothering you then lift the tiles and squirt some mastic in the joints.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies,

Yesterday it rain quite heavily so I was looking at where the downpipe discharges out the window and thought there seems a lot of water going down those tiles.

So I went outside and looked and the end of the tile overhanging the gutter and there was water spluttering out of the interlock. Shown in purple line in pic.

So if water can get there why can't it get past the interlock completely?

But as you say this is a very common tile and surely this would be a known problem? The tiles sit nicely together so there is no obvious issue. So I'm confused.

Bob

ss3.jpg

it might look like its dripping from that area, doesn't mean it is.

maybe sandtoft should redesign ........and redlands 50 and marley double roman too

Thanks, there's nowt wrong with the design, it's just maybe it's not suitable for about 10mm or more of water flowing past the interlock. Normally this doesn't happen, but when used to take the run off from a whole roof it could be too much.

But if you've never experienced an issue then great.

Thanks

Bob

They have modified the interlock to pitch up slightly now on some tiles.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back