"Saniflo" solution - thoughts please?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a log cabin in my garden that i want to install a toilet, shower and sink into to.

The cabin is at a level lower than the septic tank - so i'll need something to pump the waste back up.

The only thing i'm aware of that might do this is some sort of "saniflo" pump/macerator type solution (i'm sure there are other brands out there - but don't know of any)

Anyway, anyone i've mentioned this to has sucked their teeth in and muttered about them not being very reliable and being more trouble than they are worth.

So, are there reliable sytems to do this - it only needs to pump about 1M uphill and a horizontal distance of about 10-15M

Thanks
SB

Sponsored Links
The options are
1. a macerator - which will inevitably break and no one in the universe will want to repair it or even look at it. If connected to a shower, it will break far more quickly and a lot more often due to the hair washed down the plughole of the shower.
2. raise the log cabin to above the level of the septic tank. In reality, this is probably the best and cheapest option.
3. forget about toilets, sinks and showers.

No one wants to get involved with Saniflos or other makes, because it is inevitable that these things go wrong, and when they do, they have to be totally dismantled and cleaned out. When they pump uphill (as is usually the case), all of that length of pipework which is full of minced sewage has to be cleaned out as well.

It's also possible that putting a shower, toilet and sink into a log cabin will require planning permission, as that is going down the road of making the cabin a self contained dwelling.

Thanks Flameport

sadly raising the log cabin is a non starter - it is 12m by 6m and had a 4.5m by 4.5m conservatory built onto the end.

forgetting about the toilet/shower and sink is also a non starter - as the intention is to make it somewhere for someone to stay

planning permission - not an issue as it was in the plan when we built the log cabin. we just never got around to doing it.

so, one other possible alternative is building a 2nd septic tank and placing it further down the garden - below the log cabin.

However, i have not been able to find ANYONE in this area that installs septic tanks. In fact i'm struggling to find any sort of information on the sort of size/space they require, cost of the equipment etc

so, what are the alternatives?

1- 2nd septic tank
2 - some kind of composting or camping/portable toilet
3 - if i had a camping loo and binned the shower idea, then i'd just need to have a wash hand basin - would that also need a macerator/pump or are their other means of waste water disposal?

any recommendations on a portable loo would also be appreciated.

ta

May give you some food for thought. http://www.klargester.com/

Klargester make septic tanks and pump stations, if a second tank is overkill, then an external pump package would be my preference over a Saniflo. At least if something does go wrong it buys you some time and is easier to deal with rather than a pan full of waste that has reappeared in the shower that you need to dispose of before even attempting to look at the macerator...... :cry:

A good builder or groundworker should be able to install any external works, an electrician can connect power as required.

Sponsored Links
We have a Sanisummat on a sink in the drying room at work. It only takes the water from the sink and cant even handle that. (Sink is out of action due to duff Sanithingy...... Again.)

I don't see any reason not to have a Saniflow ( or perhaps better the Grundfoss version ).

They are pretty reliable as long as you use them properly.

I have one in a house on a shower, basin and WC and its been fine for last five years. Only used many weekends though.

As long as its not the only WC then its no problem.

I even know someone who will repair them! But he is about to go on holiday for six weeks.

Tony you obviously haven't had to repair 1 your self yet otherwise you wouldn't be recommending them. I had to a couple of times, back when I was working with a firm and vowed to myself that when I went self employed i would never look at 1 ever again!

Although I usually pass them to a friend ( now on holiday for six weeks ) I have still repaired at least two.

Not my favourite job I agree.

But the point that I was trying to make is that properly used by an owner occupier ( rather than tenants ) they are very reliable and do not often fail.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back