Sanity Check - CV Joint?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I just want to make sure my prognosis is correct:

My FWD car has started making a noise at the front driver's side, that's relative to road speed. The noise is only noticeable when accelerating or staying at a constant speed (ie foot on the throttle, drive being put through to the wheels), not when I'm on the overrun, decelerating or braking. The noise stays pretty much constant regardless of whether I'm turning.

To my mind this rules out wheel bearing in favour of a worn CV joint.

Does this sound right?

Cheers

J

Sponsored Links
Investigate the condition of the front engine mounting first. Get a friend to engage a gear and with the handbrake on release the clutch whilst you observe under bonnet. If engine lifts AT ALL renew mounting. have seen this a lot on fiestas, where owners were unaware of a problem at all.

From past experience, worn cv joints are most noticable on cornering, especially at low speed with full lock, you will hear a knocking sound as you turn the corner. Cant say I have heard much whilst driving straight though. Check the gaiters, if they are split, theres a good chance that you have worn cv joint(s) because of the ingres of dirt.

It still could be a wheel brg. Jack up your car and put one hand on the top of the wheel, and place your other hand at the bottom of the wheel, then rock the wheel to see if there is any play.
As have been said check the engine mount. Don't think it's your CV joint.

Sponsored Links
It's not really a knocking noise at speed, it sounds like a wheel bearing but goes away when I lift the pedal. At low speed and full lock there's a knocking 'feeling' rather than noise. If it were an engine mount I'd expect to knock once or twice when I accelerate hard, then keep fairly quiet? As I said, this is a constant, cyclical noise that sounds like a bearing.

Cheers

Jimbo said:
It's not really a knocking noise at speed, it sounds like a wheel bearing but goes away when I lift the pedal. At low speed and full lock there's a knocking 'feeling' rather than noise. If it were an engine mount I'd expect to knock once or twice when I accelerate hard, then keep fairly quiet? As I said, this is a constant, cyclical noise that sounds like a bearing.

Cheers

Jimbo, sounds like CV's. Find a large area (or a quiet mini roundabout). Drive with plenty of wheel lock on. If the noise gets worst (Clunky) it's the CV that's worn.
Wheel bearing noise won't go away, even if you lift the pedal; it's normally a constant noise.

But ATEOTD if you are going to do the job yourelf it doesn't matter what's causing the noise - bearing or CV - on most cars the wheel (with bearing) will have to be removed to do both jobs.

Jack one side of car up, (important: fit axle stands underneath). Grasp wheel at 12 & 6 o'clock positions, rock the wheel firmly. Badly worn (drive wheel) bearings will have movement. Also spin the wheel - you'll hear some rumbling if bearing is worn.

If it is the CV that's shot at, I'd also change the bearing at the same time.

BTW what make of car?

RR

Exactly - the fact that the noise goes away when the power is off, even if I'm turning, made me think it was the joint!

It's an old Audi 100; apparently it's possible to change the joint without removing the wheel. But I'll probably remove it anyway to make access easier.

Cheers

J

It could be the cv or it could be the bottom ball joint.
one author thing it could be is the strut come loose lift the bonnet and check the nuts are tight.

Sponsored Links
Back