Sash Clamps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have bought Sash Clamps form the Likes of Machine Mart in the past. For reasons of expense I have on two occasions bought 'Clarke' clamps.
They look OK but that is about as far as it goes. I have suffered from False Economy as these units in my experience are rubbish as I suppose I can expect at £30 for a pair of 72" clamps.
Now having purchased Clamps twice I am about to try for the third time but the new one's will certainly not be 'Clarke'
Is there any Carpenter/Joiner out there who could advise me on what make to go for - My first reaction is for 'Record' but to be honest they look no better than Clarke, only you guy's with the experience can help. The friendly Machine Mart guys certainly can't.
PS would this question be better in the Carpentry/Joinery Section?

Sponsored Links
Like everything, you get wht you pay for.... For vices, as well as G and sash clamps, Record everytime.

What clarke ones were they?
Ive not had any trouble with the t-section ones i have. They get a bit of abuse aswell :confused:

Sponsored Links
What clarke ones were they?
Ive not had any trouble with the t-section ones i have. They get a bit of abuse aswell :confused:

Hi Hitachimad.
The first clamps I bought were Nu Tool, primarily because they looked like Record but were considerably cheaper. The Female thread stripped. This surprised me as the male thread was a good pitch and substantial Square thread, but the female thread was just badly made and was loose and as such eventually stripped. This is just bad manufacture as it is as easy to produce a reasonable fitting thread thread as a very bad fitting thread.
The next clamps were, as I said, 'Clarke' from Machine Mart. Once again the female thread stripped and also the clamp head was attached to the 'T' bars using badly fitting Rivets. This allowed the clamp head to rotate slightly on the T bar and produced a non parallel/square clamping force which eventually lead to the thread failure. There is no type name on the clamps and I can only identify them as being Red and 72" long and rubbish.
Maybe my problem is using them to draw up tight joints as opposed to just clamping, therefore they do get rather a lot of force applied to them.
I only hope my next purchase, which will be I think 'Record' based on what Eng33's advice, will give me better service. Just doing a job this afternoon and yet another thread has stripped just at the critical part of the job.

Personally i would steer WELL clear of nu tool or any cheap brand for that matter.If you're going to buy these cheap products then dont expect them to last!! IMHO if you are going to buy something then pay a little more for a quality product.Some people may have experiences of buying cheap products that have served them well but personally i will always buy a better branded tool.

Record and Bessey both make good clamps. I tend to use the american pony clamp heads by Jorgensen that use 3/4" pipe as you can make these upto whatever length you need, cheaper to get pipe from a plumbers.

If you are having to put a lot of force on them then your joints are a bit tight, better to knock them together with a rubber mallet and just nip them up with the clamps while the glue sets

Jason

If I wanted to buy any more traditional sash cramps I would only buy Record; but secondhand, if I could get them. The cheaper ones are a complete waste of money. However, cramp heads mounted on a wooden bar have their uses.

I have some Record Speedcramps (I'm not sure if they're still made). One has failed (no grip on the bar) so my admiration for Record isn't boundless.

On the whole, I'd add to my small Bessey collection next time I need to buy cramps. Of course they're expensive. But they have the distinct advantage that the money isn't wasted.

I've had good luck with Axminister's own brand sash and G clamps. I'd have to advise against aluminium sash cramps, they are light and flimsy and horrible.

Depends on how much use they will get, if trade use then def go for record, if occasional use ie light trade, screwfix do a forge steel one which is ideal , I have just bought a pair, keep away from the aluminium ones, they are rubbish.

However, aluminium sash cramps have their place; I don't agree that they're rubbish. The light weight is a great virtue if you have to use a lot of cramps on a single workpiece, and they don't cost much. Just don't expect them to pull a tight joint together, or apply much cramping pressure.

Thanks so much everyone for the advice.
I think the consensus of opinion seems to be that Record is the units to go for. My requirement is to use them to pull up fairly tight joints as my woodworking skills are some what lacking and clamping can usually cover up a multitude of sins. So Record it will be.
Anyone know of a good price source?
Thanks again everyone for the advice

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back