Sash windows - replace or fix?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I've moved into a 1900'ish Victorian House with traditional sash windows.

I've applied fuzzy draught excluders which helped, but it is still noticeably warmer when we shut the curtains.

A local company wants £200 per window to re-frame them, allowing for better draught exclusion.

How much more is it for new windows? Is replacing them the answer? They are in rough shape...

We don't want ugly double glazing.

There must be millions of people in the same boat. It appears that many people leave their old windows as-they-are, but what is the best long term investment?

Everest are advertising some kind of double glazed sash windows that look traditional, but it's so hard to compare products with everyone flogging their own thing.

Our gas bill is insane -- hopefully we can do the smart thing long term.

Thank you very much in advance for your help :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
You seem confused? why is double glazing ugly,? apart from have two panes of glass instead of one it can be identical to what you have already.Even modern double glazed sash windows are drafty as they have to slide past each other, my last office had hardwood sash [double glazed ] using springs instead of weights, but still very drafty.

You can route out the existing windows for second-pane double glazing. You'll need to increase the balance weights. It is probably worth replacing the staff beads and sash cords at the same time. Some kits include draft seals.

or just refurb the windows as necessary then install secondary glazing inside.

Sponsored Links
my sliding sashes have that furry pile draft excluder, it slides easily and keeps draughts and dust out (except where a gap has been left round the flitch fastener)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back