Satellite Cable through cavity wall

DSA

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking into DIY installing freesat HD, and am currently interested in the drilling through the wall part. The proposed hole would be drilled though a cavity wall of 100/100/100 construction. Should I be concerned about bridging the cavity with the cable? (Normal precautions of angled drill/sealed hole/drip loop would be taken). There is alternatively a possibility of drilling through a soffit board and fixing the cable to skirting inside the room. This would be a lot more work, but would it be preferable to the first option??

Also, is it better to opt for a 60cm dish for the south of england/south midlands, or will a 45cm dish be perfectly adequate??

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Lost count how many cables I have fitted through a cavity over the years as a telephone engineer. No one has ever complained.

I would agree. Drill hole do not remove drill bit but disconnect from drill. Tape cable to drill then draw through. This way insulation does not fill gap when you take drill out. SDS drills are great as spigot slightly smaller than drill so room for tape. At least with size I use.

Sponsored Links
I would agree. Drill hole do not remove drill bit but disconnect from drill. Tape cable to drill then draw through. This way insulation does not fill gap when you take drill out. SDS drills are great as spigot slightly smaller than drill so room for tape. At least with size I use.

what a dumb piece of "advice" .............. use the correct tool

With a pebbledash style render on the outside, would you advise drilling from the outside or the inside?? What hole diameter should I drill for shotgun cable....and what shank size will this (x min 350mm long) drill bit equate to? (will it fit in a 10mm chuck?)

aint you got the tv working and watching yet???.lol.just drill a hole from outside to in and push the cable through. :LOL:

:D I like to have all the information to hand before I buy! Have just decided to go with a 60cm dish, so I'll order that off ebay later. Will need to pop down screwfix to get a new drill bit, so which size should I get?!

get one a bit bigger than the cable therfore you wont struggle trying to feed it in.................logic

Will need to pop down screwfix to get a new drill bit, so which size should I get?!
er, not to state the bleedin obvious but... if you have to ask about the size of the drill bit are you sure you should be tackling this job yourself?

No one seem to have mentioned it , so drill at slight upward angle from outside to discourage any rain from running in and seal the cable with a little silicon.To crosss a cavity I useually poke a straight piece of coathanger wire [400mm should be enough]into the end of cable so it guides it across the cavity.

No one seem to have mentioned it , so drill at slight upward angle from outside to discourage any rain from running in and seal the cable with a little silicon.To crosss a cavity I useually poke a straight piece of coathanger wire [400mm should be enough]into the end of cable so it guides it across the cavity.
never drill from outside,,its easier to repaire outside than plaster inside

Not always true, surely pebble dash or old brick faces are more likley to pop than soft, sound plaster? Also outside in implies less dust in the house.

Not always true, surely pebble dash or old brick faces are more likley to pop than soft, sound plaster? Also outside in implies less dust in the house.
so how do we test from outside for cables or pipe work,,i have been in the satellite buisness for 20 years ,and now am a team manager for one of the largest satellite /aerial company in the uk .and if one of our engineers drilled frrom outside in they would be in trouble if they hit a cable or pipe

so how do we test from outside for cables or pipe work,,i have been in the satellite buisness for 20 years ,and now am a team manager for one of the largest satellite /aerial company in the uk .and if one of our engineers drilled frrom outside in they would be in trouble if they hit a cable or pipe

Your last point is valid but it isn't implied by your previous point.

I would be concerned about anyone drilling without checking both sides before hand!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back