Satellite Cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could you tell me if cable to a sky box is just coax cable? My sky box has 2 cables running from the dish and it just looks like just normal coax cable, i want to move my TV so was going to run new cable from my dish to the new point where my tv will be located. Can anyone please advise?
Thank you

Sponsored Links
its a cox but its 50 ohm coax designed for sat signals, normal tv and cctv coax is 57 ohm. ALso the inner core is larger than rg59/u

If the existing cable looks like normal co-ax then it's the wrong cable. Satallite co-ax is designed for use at much higher frequencies, lower loss and is screened with a layer of foil which normal co-ax is not.

Use standard and you will regret it - guaranteed.

Sponsored Links
Depends upon quantity you want but Screwfix sell it also, pretty sure, B & Q. Otherwise electrical or aerial outlet.

satalite grade coax is 75 ohm characteristic impedance as is normal TV coax and composite video coax (50 ohm coax does exist, it's used for ethernet and a lot of ham radio stuff among other things). The difference is in the performance at high frequencies. Any decent supplier of AV kit should be able to supply the stuff though prices vary a lot (personally I bought the last roll I got from rapid electronics). Satalite grade cable is typically black rather than brown or white but otherwise looks outwardly similar.

oopss
yeah supposed to be 75 slight typo there
And yes your right about sat being 75, im wondering if it used to be 50 in analouge days (i must have got it from somewhere)
I believe cheap rg11 is used far sat.

make sure you use sat coax type ct100 will do the job

try google for satellitesuperstore well recomended

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back