Satellite TV question.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If I get a new TV with a satellite receiver built into it, can I use and old Sky dish and receiver? The reason I ask is that I have a dish fitted that hasn’t been used for at least 20 years but I do have the co-axial cable running from the dish to a proper satellite point chased into the wall behind where we have the TV. Would I be right in thinking that at worse, all I’d need would be a new LNB and the dish aiming correctly?

Sponsored Links
The old sky dish and LNB should be OK if it has not moved. You won’t need the old receiver.
Just connect it to the TV and do a scan on Astra 28.2 east.

If I didn't have a satellite enabled TV I would have said yes, it should work OK, but for some reason the TV does not get all the free to air programs, it gets about half.

It does not worry me, as I have Sky Q, but the TV works great with Youtube and loads of other wifi options, but the satellite is not very good. Well to be frank neither is terrestrial. Moel-y-sant is not worth the effort.

The Icecrypt STC3250CCHD set bottom box works well, except for the program guide, but the TV is rather poor. I will guess either only horizontal or vertical not both, but never use it anyway.

Sponsored Links
If I didn't have a satellite enabled TV I would have said yes, it should work OK, but for some reason the TV does not get all the free to air programs, it gets about half.
Is your TV listed as being Freesat or is it listed as just having satellite TV reception? The difference is important.

With Freesat the EPG should list all the UK satellite channels that are part of our national TV system. The channel mix isn't quite the same as Freeview, (e.g. more HD channels on Freesat) but the channel list should be the same for anyone so long as the LNB signal is correct.

Where a TV is listed as simply having 'satellite reception' then it's anyone's guess what channels the TV's EPG will present. The manufacturer isn't forced to follow the same channel order as Freesat. It may be that you need to manually add the missing channels. That's a PITA if ever you have to rescan from scratch, but at least you get to be able to filter out some of the waste-of-space channels that Freesat includes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back