Satinwood Paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I've for a few years as a DIYer been using Dulux Trade Diamond Satinwood.

I find the Dulux to be good, but difficult to work with to get that good finish. I find it can run easily, then it pulls when trying to brush out those runs. I use Purdey Monarch Elite and Sprigg brushes.

I've used the regular Dulux Satin Wood water based, but found it holds the brush marks, probably as it's quite thick.

I've been reading about Johnstone's Aqua Guard and Benjamin Moore Scruff X as an alternative. Can anyone tell me what they're like?

Sponsored Links
Not used the "Guard" version but I find Johnstones Aqua pretty good. A couple of tips always use their undercoat first, dampen the brush slightly before painting and just before applying wipe the surface down with a damp cloth, on something like a paneled door that takes time you may find a wipe down of the unpainted section half way through helps to keep a wet edge.

I am in a similar boat to you but I am using the oil based Satinwood as I hate the brush marks with WB. I am planning to buy a tin of Scuff X Satin. Just trying to decide on the colour white as they don't do Brilliant White.

I am in a similar boat to you but I am using the oil based Satinwood as I hate the brush marks with WB. I am planning to buy a tin of Scuff X Satin. Just trying to decide on the colour white as they don't do Brilliant White.

Their best white, I'm told, is Chantilly Lace.

I should have added, that the Dulux Diamond was great for the brush marks parting off, but the only issue I had was it can be a bit runny, so when doing skirtings it can be difficult to get a flat finish, although brush marks to part of very well.

Sponsored Links
Yes I am leaning towards Chantilly Lace at the moment although their website suggests Super White is close to a brilliant white even though Chantilly Lace is brighter. Also looking at Simply White as it is a bit softer.

Interesting that the Dulux Diamond is ok for brush marks. I might try it but your comment about it being runny puts me off a bit.

Ok, decided. I'm going to try the Aqua Guard, reviews say the brush marks lay off well and it doesn't run like the Dulux......

Their best white, I'm told, is Chantilly Lace.

I should have added, that the Dulux Diamond was great for the brush marks parting off, but the only issue I had was it can be a bit runny, so when doing skirtings it can be difficult to get a flat finish, although brush marks to part of very well.

I have never used BM paints, they do however have a number of whites.

I guess that your local decorators' merchant will additionally be able to mix the paint in one of the RAL whites.

I did recently do some work for a "property developer" he used the Dulux Diamond on all of the woodwork. I get what you say about runs, with old based paints, you can deal with them after, up to a couple of hours, with the waterbased paint, if you try to brush it out, it starts to pull the paint off the surface.

Just an update to this thread. I've been using the Aqua Guard now and I like it. It goes on and flows like a solvent based paint, but I don't get the easy runs and curtaining which the runniness of the Dulux Diamond gives.

The only gripe I have is that for a water based paint, it's quite difficult to clean my brush out compared to other water based paints. Also I've been using Johnstones Joncryl primer and that is excellent stuff and will be using that exclusively from now on. However good the Aqua Guard is, I'd still be tempted at testing other products.

Just an update to this thread. I've been using the Aqua Guard now and I like it. It goes on and flows like a solvent based paint, but I don't get the easy runs and curtaining which the runniness of the Dulux Diamond gives.

The only gripe I have is that for a water based paint, it's quite difficult to clean my brush out compared to other water based paints. Also I've been using Johnstones Joncryl primer and that is excellent stuff and will be using that exclusively from now on. However good the Aqua Guard is, I'd still be tempted at testing other products.

Some waterbased paints will mess up your brushes if you aren't careful.

I pay up to £18 for each of my 50mm brushes (Purdy Sprig Elite). I make a point of regularly misting my brushes using a water sprayer through out the day. I don't want my brushes to be wet, that makes them too floppy, but a mist of water every 30 minutes or so prevents the paint hardening on the bristles (particularly at this time of the year).

Brushes used in emulsion-I am happy to bag them up for days. Brushes used in waterbased eggshell- I normally wash then out at the end of each day.

If you are having problems cleaning your brushes, you can soak them in meths, it will soften up the paint on the bristles. Cellulose thinners will break down the residue far quicker but is more expensive and evaporates faster.

Some waterbased paints will mess up your brushes if you aren't careful.

I pay up to £18 for each of my 50mm brushes (Purdy Sprig Elite). I make a point of regularly misting my brushes using a water sprayer through out the day. I don't want my brushes to be wet, that makes them too floppy, but a mist of water every 30 minutes or so prevents the paint hardening on the bristles (particularly at this time of the year).

Brushes used in emulsion-I am happy to bag them up for days. Brushes used in waterbased eggshell- I normally wash then out at the end of each day.

If you are having problems cleaning your brushes, you can soak them in meths, it will soften up the paint on the bristles. Cellulose thinners will break down the residue far quicker but is more expensive and evaporates faster.

I'm using a Purdy Sprig too, I've been dipping it in water as I go.

Thanks I will try meths later.

Meths helped, looks like my brush will be ok.

Do you find the Purdy Sprig gets some bristles sticking out, but further up from the tip? I have a few, thinking of cutting them off.

Meths helped, looks like my brush will be ok.

Do you find the Purdy Sprig gets some bristles sticking out, but further up from the tip? I have a few, thinking of cutting them off.

I get them once every blue moon. I just pull them out.

I get them once every blue moon. I just pull them out.

What do you do to stop the Sprig from fraying outwards when drying? Only my Sprig does it, but my regular Monarch Elite XL's don't suffer from this.

Dunk brushes in Clean spirit for 24h then wash with water.
Dry out
Quick dunk in near boiling water will straighten bristles.

I tend to only dry out brushes for storage. I leave in clean spirit and just wash out and use damp.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back