Dulux Diamond Satinwood waterbased paint - achieving the finish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. I'm doing some painting at home with Dulux Diamond Satinwood waterbased paint!

Runs and drips everywhere! I made sure I wasn't putting too much on and spread it/covered it well. Some research suggested using a low stock brush which I have now done. I'm now using Purdy Monarch Elite XL brushes with it and it is much better, but it's still not a perfect flat finish like solvent based, there are still some runs.

Can anyone offer me any advice on this? I've got a bit more to do where I could try some tips. I would like to master water based paint, but if it becomes too much hassle, the next room may see a return to solvent based.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I am not a fan of waterbased finishes. I can achieve a very high quality of finish with oil based paints but not with waterbased. To be fair, that is partially the result of me trying to use the same technique I use for oil based paints. In short I spend too much time trying to move the paint in order to achieve uniform tram lines.

I get the impression that with WB paints you need to literally throw them on and then let the paint "shrink back". WB based paints cure via a process called coalescence. As the paint dries the water evaporates and the molecules shrink down and bond together.

Additives such as Floetrol can help to maintain a wet edge and minimise tramlines (read:brushmarks). Not cheap but a great product.

If you want a durable finish stick with oil based. If you want a fast drying, non-yellowing and less smelly paint, use waterbased.

Can't resolve your problems but maybe make you feel better. I have a fastidious friend building a house. He's attention to building detail and fastidiousness is second to none.

He asked if I had used Diamond Satin Wood water based as he was having a hell of a time. I sent him some of my photos with ordinary water based, fast dry satinwood and said it was good to work with and a pretty reasonable finish.

After exchanging photos and comparing preparation and application methods, we concluded that either the diamond satinwood is a crap product or a bad batch....edit: it is all we could come up with his as he followed instructions by the book.

Sponsored Links
After exchanging photos and comparing preparation and application methods, we concluded that either the diamond satinwood is a crap product or a bad batch....edit: it is all we could come up with his as he followed instructions by the book.

Last year, I hand painted some units for an interior design company. I needed to turn up on site to hand paint the end panels. Whilst I was there I was asked to "quickly" recoat the existing skirting boards with Leyland waterbased eggshell. I am used to trying to run the brush over a 1.5m section to maintain constant tramlines. With the leyland paint if I went more than 30cm the paint would start to gum up.

I wasn't happy with the finish but it got signed off and I got paid.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back