Satire...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
It doesn't need to be.

Sorry Sammy, I don't really understand the point your making, or why putting up the video? That she was threatened with rape because she said what she did about a 'men's day' in the video was disgusting, but isn't this thread about the comment 'I wouldn't rape you' being passed as humour?

Satire: the use of humour, irony, exaggeration, or ridicule to expose and criticize people's stupidity or vices
Well it's done that, without a doubt, so I suppose it must be.

I'm just wondering whether saying about an MP, “I wouldn’t even rape you”, is considered 'satire'...
It means that there are some people who he would rape...

Sponsored Links
Sorry Sammy, I don't really understand the point your making, or why putting up the video? That she was threatened with rape because she said what she did about a 'men's day' in the video was disgusting, but isn't this thread about the comment 'I wouldn't rape you' being passed as humour?

My point is the reason Benjamin made the comments in the first place was because of her attitude towards men.

She's very one sided when it comes to gender 'equality'.

My point is the reason Benjamin made the comments in the first place was because of her attitude towards men.

She's very one sided when it comes to gender 'equality'.
But she's also correct in a lot of ways. It's a mans world, always has been. But I agree, if going to be equal, then it should be equal.

Just the simple fact she was threatened with rape on the back of the meeting shows that equality is a long way off.

Its hard to see how anything to do with rape can be made into a joke or satire, it just isnt something that should be trivialised
Exactly. It was a mother of all put-downs to this MP, but it wasn't humour.

UKIP seems to have turned itself into the EDL
It's incredibly common for all extremist political parties and groupings, both left and right, to fragment, re-form, and fragment again.

Now this is satire:

But she's also correct in a lot of ways. It's a mans world, always has been

I don't believe that to be true. We've had female speakers, we've had female prime minustera, we have a female monarch. We have female MPs currently at a rate of 32% (55% in the Labour party of which she is a member).

The only thing holding women back in terms of representation in the commons at least are women themselves.

Its hard to see how anything to do with rape can be made into a joke or satire, it just isnt something that should be trivialised
Hmm...
I wonder if Ellal would be mentioning this if it had been made about Theresa May not Jess Philips.........
I wouldn't trivialise this vile remark by suggesting a non-existent political bias :rolleyes:

I don't believe that to be true. We've had female speakers, we've had female prime minustera, we have a female monarch. We have female MPs currently at a rate of 32% (55% in the Labour party of which she is a member).

The only thing holding women back in terms of representation in the commons at least are women themselves.
I don't think much has really changed in the reality...
https://news.sky.com/story/abuse-an...iscuss-barriers-to-women-in-politics-11559632

https://www.independent.co.uk/voice...mons-westminster-gender-pay-gap-a8196666.html

The house of commons is an old boys club. As are many other industries... I have a friend who is a consultant, she's had never ending sexist comments throughout her career, was ignored over her male counterparts by consultants when she was training, and has had to work twice as hard to be taken seriously in her field of medicine than the men did. I heard on the radio just the other day about women working in construction were targeted for 'humourous' sexist banter in the workplace, because simply they are women - daily. (How tiresome must that be?!) There is the gender pay gap hoo-ha and the fact remains, that if a women makes a comment such as in your video and is then met with a ton of rape threats, sexism and the need to belittle & lord it over women is most deffo alive an kicking - and it remains, on a whole, a mans world but it is slowly getting better. I think your comment about women are holding back themselves is out of touch, with respect.

I could go on but I have things to do!!

True, but neither do you disagree.....
Very tiresome...

But just so you are totally clear, I would call out that comment regardless of whom it was aimed at...

Including you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back