Satnav

Joined
20 Mar 2018
Messages
4,366
Reaction score
902
Location
Stoke-on-Trent
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 2017 Hyundai i30. The satnav software was out of date, so I downloaded an update from the internet, for free, 3-4 years ago. Thought it might be due for another so did a download (took several hours to go on to the SD card, but no problem). When I inserted the card a message came up, you're already using this version, do you want to go ahead? Somewhat surprised, but having got that far I loaded it. No problem, but I won't know if it's any different till I've used it a bit.

But when I checked the SD card I'd just removed, most of the data on it says date modified September 2025. That's 2-3 years after I did the first update, so how does that work? Does the system get updated via the satellites or something?
 
Does the system get updated via the satellites or something?
No, the only way it can be updated is if you or someone else has shoved a card in it with new information.
GPS is for location only, nothing else.

most of the data on it says date modified September 2025. That's 2-3 years after I did the first update, so how does that work?
That will just be when the files were last created/updated/published.
Not necessarily the same as when the map files were actually updated.
Taking info from 10 years ago and shoving it into a new file in 2025 would show 2025 as the date but the contents would not have changed.
 
No, the only way it can be updated is if you or someone else has shoved a card in it with new information.
GPS is for location only, nothing else.
That's what I thought, but good to confirm
That will just be when the files were last created/updated/published.
I still don't get how the data on the card would say last modified September 2025 when the card was loaded a couple of years before then.
 
I would think its because you went ahead and loaded it. It may have overwritten the original file and time stamped the 2025 date.
 
I would think its because you went ahead and loaded it. It may have overwritten the original file and time stamped the 2025 date.
I took out the previous SD card (the one that says date modified Sept 2025) before inserting the one with the (supposedly) updated data.
 
My Hyundai updates its maps over the air. OTA updates they are called. Check 'em out.
 
Thanks for that, interesting. I have a Navigation Updater on my desktop, must have got it from Hyundai site, can't see how to copy it here. Have to tell it the car model, though I don't see why the satnav software would vary with model.
From your link, it looks like my car doesn't have OTA. When I first updated it the newer version was completely different from the original, and seemed rather odd, like finding addresses all over the world, and failing to find things. I thought I'd done something wrong, and I'd heard Hyundai would update it for free, so I took it to a dealer. The result was the same as my update, so I needn't have bothered. When I got used to it it usually works OK. The latest update doesn't seem any different from the previous, some of the speed limits were out of date, maybe they've been corrected.
 
If the Internet is to be believed, the 2017 Model Year i30 can't do over-the-air updates. Newer ones can though. I can therefore only assume that the explanation that others have given is correct - perhaps the car copies the stuff from the SD car to some other bit of memory for faster read time when navigating, and it's that date that appears? Was there a version number in the message as well as a date?
 
Back
Top