TomTom - Camera Warnings

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
I have recently bought a TomTom One XL. It came with Traffic Camera (I did not have to take out a subscription) and it has downloaded updates to them.

I want it to bleep or chime when I approach such a camera.

I have got the "Enable Alerts" set, under the "TomTom Services" "Safety Cameras" menu, and I have gone into "Change Warning Preferences", they are all set "on" and I have listened to the warning.

So as far as I can see I have set it up

However it does not sound a warning.

Also, it does not seem to display Cameras or Speed limit signs today, though I think it did when I first bought it. Could I have turned something off? (it still displays Petrol Stations)

Can you think what I might have missed :confused:

Can I test it in the "View Route" Demonstration, or I have I got to drive up and down near a camera to see if it works?

Edited:
I have downloaded some more sounds, and got a voice saying "Warning: Speed camera Ahead" instead of the "bong bong" noise, and it seems to work in Demo now that I have attached it to Safety Camera Warning.

I think perhaps when it did not have a spoken message either it did not warn, or I did not know what it was warning of.

Sponsored Links
An update:

I tested it in "Demo" mode,, and it only warned of two camera between A27 and Dartford, i am sure there are lots more than that, it looks like it still isn't right :(

Sponsored Links
didn't know you could.

I will have another browse of the manual and look for "Customer Support"

Do you mean you've done it yourself, or was that a guess?

Just grabbed Garmin SC updates.
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/

Data held as POIs - Points Of Interest.

Saw this for Tom² ...

....You need to 'enable' the cameras on the TomTom so you can see them on the map. Select them in your POI categories by going to: 'Change Preferences' then 'Manage (or Maintain) POI' then 'Enable / Disable POI' (the exact wording will depend on your TomTom unit)
Select each POI in turn.

You now need to set up proximity warnings for each camera type by going to: ' Change Preferences' then 'Manage (or Maintain) POI' then 'Warn when near POI '
Select each POI in turn and choose the warning distance and the warning sound
Uncheck the "Warn only if POI is on route" box so that you still get alerts if you are not navigating
Repeat steps 20-22 until all POIs are set up to warn.

You only need to set up proximity alerts once....

Have small post processing prog. for Garmin .CSV file conversion, it batch converts to .gpx files.. But usefully allows simple one time setting for proximity warnings... Don't know if they have or need same for Tom Tom.
gpx-conv.jpg

S.cam ;) warning at 15 sec from cam... or min dist quoted.
Might be similar settings... Works well, haven't found a cam not in the database yet, If found then free subs to site (£20 p/a)
:D

Why do you need to know where the cameras are located? If you are complying with the speed limits they don't pose any threat.

Why do you need to know where the cameras are located? If you are complying with the speed limits they don't pose any threat.

Of course, and all those silly people still selling them.............

I have never ever had a ticket from a camera, but as the device is supposed to have a warning for them, I see no reason not to try to make it work.

well it's very strange, but now it goes "bong" whenever I approach a camera site, and a "yards to go" warning appears in the top LH corner.

It isn't playing the soundbite I attached to them as POIs though.

I have let it update itself a few times over the net. Maybe that changed something.

Sponsored Links
Back