Selling Cameras 'unfit for purpose'

S

Shutpa

Bought a Samsung S830 digital camera on Sept. 25, for my daughters birthday on Oct3. After 5 photos the 'low batteries' warning signal came on and I found that the batteries,Duracell Ultra, were 6 months out of date. No problem, replaced them with identical batteries with 2012 use-by date. Five photos on and 'low batteries'signal appeared again. Replaced them a further 3 times with a similar result each time. Took the camera back to Currys where I eventually persuaded the salesman to replace the camera. Asked him to check on the use-by date of the batteries and they were also out of date. He replaced them. Took the camera home and guess what. Exactly the same thing happened again. Sent an e-mail and followed up with a phone call to Samsung who informed me that the camera did not work with the batteries supplied and that all persons selling the camera knew that this was so and should advise the would-be purchaser that only rechargeable batteries should be used. These of course and the charger are sold as extras. The instruction book clearly states "We recommend using battery supplied with camera" If what Samsung says is true, are the sellers Currys, in breach of the Sale of Goods Act? What do you think?

Sponsored Links
I've had a Samsung A7 digi camera for a year. Worked fine up until a month agohten: Same prob - new batts in, 'Low Batt' sign comes up straight away and the thing shuts off!

Have used rechargeable and non-rechareable batteries with it before, no probs. :confused:

Wondering if it could be some capacetor issue? Tends to last a minute or so longer without the flash on.

no idea but a question . suggestion, the lcd display on cameras has batteries for breakfast (i have 2 fuji cameras) is there not an option to not use the bigger lcd display ?

or take it back and get fuji finpix

Sponsored Links
no idea but a question . suggestion, the lcd display on cameras has batteries for breakfast (i have 2 fuji cameras) is there not an option to not use the bigger lcd display ?

or take it back and get fuji finpix

Didn't have the finepix in stock at the time.

more than one place to buy a camera from.

i also think you have no leg to dtand on since the camera does take pictures which is what its supposed to do, the camera co could simpluy say wrong batteries

I've found that bog standard batteries do not last very long in a digital camera.You are better off getting some rechargable Ni-Mh batteries.

Bolo,
I would return it and claim your money back.

Just a point about batteries, if you get another camera that uses AA batteries alway buy the 2500mAh Ni-MH rechargeables or even higher if you can get them.

My Finepix used to use the 1300mAh ones and I always had to carry at least one spare set fully charged if we were out for a full day. The 2500mAh last so much longer and still has plenty of power to download direct from the camera.

dave

Bolo,
I would return it and claim your money back
dave

Did that tonight Dave and got my cash back no problem. The manager said that it was no wonder that the camera didn't work when I was 'using batteries like these' (Phillips), but when I pointed out that his own assistant manager had given me these for free, he got sort of tongue tied. He did admit however that the camera, like all digital cameras, would only operate with rechargeable batteries and claimed, wrongly, that the person who had sold the camera to me had pointed this out. However when I pointed out that the instruction book recommended using the supplied batteries, that the assistant manager had given me 2 sets of AA batteries FOC and that I had contacted Trading Standards, he crumbled.

It would appear to me having gone through this experience, that the main objective of Currys staff was to get a sale. OK, so the customer would soon discover that the supplied batteries were useless but would probably resort to buying the rechargeable batteries and the charger. Not this customer, however.

more than one place to buy a camera from.

i also think you have no leg to dtand on since the camera does take pictures which is what its supposed to do, the camera co could simpluy say wrong batteries

Trading Standards disagree with you!

i am not arguing, its just my opinion, but in court i bet they would not win, since the camera does take pictures which is what its supposed to do, does the (or did) the instructions say how many pictures it will take on a set of batteries?

get a fuji fine pix S5500, great camera and i usse mine with non rechargable batteries, lasts for ages

in court i bet they would not win, since the camera does take pictures which is what its supposed to do...
It's not as simple as saying "it takes pictures so there's nothing wrong with it." It comes down to what's "reasonable" performance - it could be deemed that if a camera stops working after 5 photos that it's not "fit for purpose".
Incidently, I've used a Panasonic FZ5 for a couple of years which is excellent with superb battery life with the lithium ion battery.

i am not arguing, its just my opinion, but in court i bet they would not win, since the camera does take pictures which is what its supposed to do, does the (or did) the instructions say how many pictures it will take on a set of batteries?

get a fuji fine pix S5500, great camera and i usse mine with non rechargable batteries, lasts for ages

Breezer, Samsung Tech. Support stated that the camera will only work with rechargeables.. The instruction book states and I quote "We recommend that that the camera is used with battery supplied" These were Duracell Ultra AA's. If the camera does not work with these, then, in terms of the sale of goods legislation, it is 'unfit for purpose'.

Sponsored Links
Back