Sawing Laminated Wood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there.

I have some laminated wood I need to cut down to size. My concern is cutting it without the laminate splintering.

Is there a technique or specific circular saw blade to use to prevent this? i.e. certain make or specific number of teeth?

Sponsored Links
i assume you mean ply or melamane type wood!!

score to the good side of the cut line with a stanley knife!

or use a sacrificial board on top for a circular saw or underneath for a table saw ;)

...also, applying tape to the board before cutting it can help a little. The best way to reduce chipping, though, is to use a fine-toothed TCT blade. What saw are you using?

i assume you mean ply or melamane type wood!!

score to the good side of the cut line with a stanley knife!

or use a sacrificial board on top for a circular saw or underneath for a table saw ;)

Sorry...laminated chip board.

The sort of stuff all ikea furniture is made out of :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
...also, applying tape to the board before cutting it can help a little. The best way to reduce chipping, though, is to use a fine-toothed TCT blade. What saw are you using?

I haven't bought one yet.

Any you care to recommend for a casual, but reasonably decent DIY'er?

I probably will not use it a huge amount so I assume I could get away with a basic one and then just invest in a top quality blade?

how many cuts you after doing !!!
what are you trying to make or adapt!!!
you need reasonable diy skills to cut white melamane to a reasonable standard it chips very easily

how many cuts you after doing !!!
what are you trying to make or adapt!!!
you need reasonable diy skills to cut white melamane to a reasonable standard it chips very easily

I have been cutting away at some old Ikea off cuts for practice wiht an old jigsaw without too much splintering so wasn't expecting major problems with the right equipment

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back