Scaffold board - cupping/cracking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have picked up some scaffold boards without any real plans in mind :eek:

One of the lengths of board has been in my shed for around 4 months. I brought it indoors yesterday to measure it, leaving it overnight.

This morning, it has some quite pronounced cracks in the end faces, and has also developed a big curve from side to side.

Any ideas what has caused this? I assume something to do with it drying out?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
yes scaffold boards are for external use averaging around say 15% moisture but often more
indoors around 8% moisture

chuck it on the wet grass overnight and see what happens :cool:

Thanks for the reply.

So nothing I can really do then? I've seen a lot of furniture etc made from these boards for indoor use, wonder how they get around this issue..

Thanks!

The boards would be passed through a planer / thicknesser before use.....and just watch how quick the blade hone vanishes when in contact with the ground in cement :p
John :)

Sponsored Links
Continue to allow them to dry to the indoor conditions, accept the splits/cracks and warpage and when stable cut them with a saw blade (not your best one of course, unless it's a throw away) and use as required. The new cutting will produce subsequent movement, not as much, but movement is inevitable as the newly dimensioned wood, released of contact hold, will settle to it's new size shape etc. That my friend is is woodwork for you...pinenot :)

Thanks for the reply.

So nothing I can really do then? I've seen a lot of furniture etc made from these boards for indoor use, wonder how they get around this issue..

Thanks!

they dont all do that just some possibly say 1 in 5 sometimes more sometimes less

i have made several units from scaffold boards old and new
its all a case off planning if the board cups or moves then select these parts for an area where they are in a box or structure where the deviations can be held in check
or for shorter sections where you cant see the difference :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back