Scaffold hire long term

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I see plenty of properties with hired scaffolds up for almost ever. When I look at the prices, hired scaffolding prices are really quite expensive. So, how do people afford an almost perma-scaffolding? They have some secret sauce I am missing. Explain the mystery please.

Sponsored Links
the major cost with scaff seems to be the erection and dismantling. The weekly/monthly rental is almost minimal from what I understand.
obviously there is an asset tied up but scaff has a reasonable life and doesn't exactly wear out?

A listed wall wall in my town was held up with scaffold so long that local wits suggested that the scaffold also be listed.
It was holding back a retaining wall for 30 years
(presumably they bought the scaff at some point?)

What would you consider is minimal? £100 a week is still £5200 a year. I don't have the exact price, just the price I glanced at in passing, and could be years old price.

Scaffolding companies usually give you 4 weeks included in the price, but in my experience if you can be persuasive, they let you keep it even for a few months.
Same for skips.

Sponsored Links
Depends on how often you use a company and relationdhip you have with them payment wise .
Some scaffold companies will charge a percentage when over the agreed period 5 or 10 percent I've heard of .
We never pay rent .
Skips
We have an 8 yd skip in my yard constantly , emptied some times weekly sometimes not for months depending on what we happen to be doing .

I did have experience of cheap scaffolding hire when I got my front soffit replaced. I asked the soffit company to given me extra time and extra level on the scaffold and the price was surprisingly reasonable. Although, that was quite a few years ago. Theoretically I could hire a soffit company to do a soffit but ask them to not do it. Instead just to use their relationship with the scaffolder for reasonable prices. This will work out cheaper than the price I could get myself even after paying the soffit company some money.

The organisation I used to work for was paying 10k plus VAT a year to hire a timber raking shoring and scaffolding to prop up the gable end of a house. I believe it was planned as a temporary measure pending repair but had been there for a few years - it just became a regular invoice that the finance department paid.

I see plenty of properties with hired scaffolds up for almost ever. When I look at the prices, hired scaffolding prices are really quite expensive. So, how do people afford an almost perma-scaffolding? They have some secret sauce I am missing. Explain the mystery please.
Some scaffolders charge install + including a set period then weekly hire.

but I know some scaffolders aren’t worried about weekly hire on smaller jobs, they only care if they get short of gear.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back