Scaffold in the way

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
4B5A83B5-17C2-456E-B8B8-8A92820051A5.jpeg
BFEBA926-AC2C-4F0C-B833-53982D4C2C7A.jpeg
02218E8A-837D-4C88-B5CB-15ABFFEFD46F.jpeg
Hi

I’m just starting to fit my roof/fascias etc and realised the scaffold poles are in the way on the front side of the extension (okay at back). Also the guard rail goes between two rafters. I’ve contacted the scaffold guy who said “I asked you about the fascia’s, the poles will need cutting and I’ll have to charge you”. I don’t remember any such conversation!

I’m disputing this charge so he’s coming around to look later.

Am I being unreasonable to expect that the posts wouldn’t be in the way? To me, they left the poles too high, and what is the guard rail all about? They are fine at the back but too high here.

Sponsored Links
Just say can I cut the top foot off a pole and are you ok with that, doesn’t involve him doing anything so he might be ok with it. You can shift the guardrail by slackening off and retightening the bolts.

Just say can I cut the top foot off a pole and are you ok with that
Get the disk cutter out

Could do it myself, i'll have to check he's okay with it I suppose.

You can shift the guardrail by slackening off and retightening the bolts.

The up pole is still in the way, so the handrail needs removing then that cutting.

LOL at the handrail up against a wall! o_O

Glad it's not just me that thinks it's weird!

Whose responsibility is it to make sure the scaffold is:

a) the correct distance from the wall/roof
b) the correct height to allow for the roof

Is that my responsibility or should he be using some common sense, like looking at the existing house and thinking... "so the existing roofline is xyz height and comes out 30cm or so, so i'll set the scaffold to below that and out enough"?

Maybe I expect too much from people! :LOL:

Sponsored Links
The handrails will self -support off one clip, so either cut the standard below the soffit and leave the handrails, or take them off. It's common.

Every bloody gable lift on this scaffold. .
...clashed with the fitting of the windows. We had to lift all 5 of them so that the new window sashes would open.
the one visible we lowered.

He was trying it on -couldnt be bothered to come round.

Scaffold is always in the way -especially when fitting doors and windows.
I forget the number of times Ive had builders chasing for an install to start -get on site only to find scaffold in the way. Or stone cills not fitted yet....or brickwork not to plate height...or screeders on site.

Earlier in the year we put up the framework for an orangery.........following week we went to help the builders chippies put in the roof glulams to find the floor had had the celetex down and underfloor heating pipework fitted........main contractor said 'oh the plumber had nothing to do'. :ROFLMAO:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back