scaffolding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Many years ago a horizontal bar crushed at one end was used to secure riggin to brick course' This bar was fitted vertical in a mortar joint. Why is this procedure no longer used :?:

Sponsored Links
shouldn't scaffolding be self supporting and braced in such a way that it is free standing and totally independant of the structure it surounds?

you should be able to put up a complete scaffolding and then build the house inside of it..
after a bit of wiki searching.. you can still get putlog connectors.. they sit HORIZONTALLY in the brickwork as they are to support the tube for the floor..

basically it saves having the "inner" framework, relying on the building itself to support the platforms as you go up..

Pudlock or free standing scaffolds are both widely used though free standing is preferred.

Only downside with a free stander is the inner stanchions. They can be a bit of a mare for a brickie with a trowel full of muck and can interfere with the soffit sometimes.

Down side with a pudlock scaffold is when the idiot tube chucker doesn't tighten the clips properly and ends up with the pudlock dropping slightly and then subsequently lifting the last six courses of bricks! :evil:

after a bit of wiki searching.. you can still get putlog connectors.. they sit HORIZONTALLY in the brickwork as they are to support the tube for the floor

All the putlog scaffolds, I have been on have always had the putlog "Vertical"
Never horizontal. Perhaps with Wiki being an American based site the Yanks put them t'other way???

Sponsored Links
A pudlock is a horizontal element of the scaffolding and has its derivatives from the old 'put-log' timber (as stated) and has never been owt else.

after a bit of wiki searching.. you can still get putlog connectors.. they sit HORIZONTALLY in the brickwork as they are to support the tube for the floor

All the putlog scaffolds, I have been on have always had the putlog "Vertical"
Never horizontal. Perhaps with Wiki being an American based site the Yanks put them t'other way???

surely horizontal is better?
if it's for holding the deck while you work, then you'd have the weight of the guy working, the stack of bricks / blocks and the board full of mortar resting on a small point on the brick if they're vertical.. ??
still I'm a sparky, what do I know about building.. ??

Many years ago a horizontal bar crushed at one end was used to secure riggin to brick course' This bar was fitted vertical in a mortar joint. Why is this procedure no longer used :?:
Putloc in the perp - always :idea:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back