Scallop wars and Fishing Quotas

Sponsored Links
It seems a very odd situation that allows fishing boats based in France and Spain to trawl waters off of Scotland and for Scottish boats to Fish off Normandy. The fuel cost alone for a Scottish Trawler round trip would be around £40K minimum

Very much a strange situation.
Hardly efficient for the market, if nothing else. The added costs will have to be passed onto the consumer.

maybe its down to different breeding grounds for different species of catch
You will often see the words "sought after" in regards to certain foods. That is why you have the location prefix when touting your wares on a swanky menu...…..Maine lobster, Aberdeen Angus beef etc.

Probably.

Sponsored Links
You will often see the words "sought after" in regards to certain foods. That is why you have the location prefix when touting your wares on a swanky menu...…..Maine lobster.......

Probably.
Agree, but thinking efficiently.....
Why let someone traipse thousands of miles, when someone else can catch it a lot closer?

After all, 'tis by an accident of birth that I live in a country not often blessed with predictably fine weather.
Doesn't give me any right to pitch up somewhere that does though, and stake a claim to do so, does it?
Or, does it?......

give me any right
I don't know the rules, only what is reported. It does seem odd and very unfair that those local to the food source are prohibited yet a more distant, foreign vessel can fish all they like. I'm not surprised that the French are angry.

Consumer demand is the reason. Perhaps those menus should have an 'in season' disclaimer.

d. It does seem odd and very unfair that those local to the food source are prohibited yet a more distant, foreign vessel can fish all they like

That aptly describes how the UK fishing industry have felt for about the last 40 years.

Stuff the French fishermen . They got a gripe take it up with Macron or the EU they are the root cause .

Not UK vessels fishing legally.

Send the royal navy in and ram the French vessels who are causing trouble :)

french boats do take a lot more out of UK waters. but to be clear this happened in international waters.

The answer is to start farming sea food, rather than seeing it as an unlimited stock.

Scallop War ???

Blimey perhaps this will be the only war the French will be successful at since 1066 :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back