Scam Warning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
See picture

WP_20191229_17_33_53_Pro.jpg

Sponsored Links
Check the URL first last and all the time!!!

I have had in the last 3 weeks 3 offers from HMRC of a refund [do not think so]

Sponsored Links
If it's good to be true then it's not true!
People really are daft to fall for some of these..

Such scams are deliberately worded so that only the gullible fall for them. Scammers deliberately put typos and grammar mistakes in their bank phishing scams. They want to weed out people who will get suspicious halfway through the scam.

What surprises me is that some of these people who get rinsed for tens / hundreds of thousands, were smart enough in the first place to get that well off.....

There's clearly more to it than that

An aquaintance of mine came very close to being conned out of several thousand pounds.

A cold call where the scammer said " If you have any doubts about this call please hang up and phone your bank on the number on your debit card"

He did that and spoke to someone who could only be an employee of the bank. Yes..... ?

NO, the scammer had not hung up but had put recorded dialing tone onto the line. The call to the bank did not go to the bank but was "answered" by another scammer.

It was a slip up by that second scammer that raised his suspicions and he ended the conversation and did not do what the scammer had said was necessary to protect his accounts.

If it happens to you ( or someone you know ) then either :-

(1) use a different phone to call the bank

(2) if you do not have a different phone then call a friend and speak to them to ensure the line is free before you call the bank.

The above from Bernard was being pushed by the BBC especially the "Money programme" + other outlets.

As I recall the Government was considering doing something about this loophole / failure in the landline Telephone system, As were BT??

What I am getting frustrated about is that no matter how often I report a Spam e mail to my e mail provider the same e mails keep popping into my spam folder?

Is there a reliable body that can take down these scam e mail generating "things" [ I think that they must be BOT generated, there are so many of them] one person could not generate them all??

Having had a look at the URL on several of the scam e mails they appear to emanate from several "web hosting" systems.

Why despite my diligent reporting of scam mails do they still pop up [OK in my scam folder] where they can be deleted from time to time.

All it takes is for a scammer to get "lucky" once or twice a day??

I can change my spam detection settings, perhaps you can, too.

What email engine do you use, and who is your service provider?

There are thousands of groups generating phishing emails. They typically attack small business website owners who haven't changed the default passwords for the control panel and then set up email aliases. The email address they are listing as the reply or sender is just an alias set on the site registry. The URLs they want you to click typically attach tracking cookies to defraud pay per click or they collect personal details. The more sinister ones try to download spyware. They are hard to filter.

There is money to be made simply by redirecting a search to a pay-per click and conning the advertiser for click money.

Equity release - Now there is a big scam, targeting the gullible.

Sponsored Links
Back