Scart to hdmi ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello people.

My mum has just got a new tv. and she is struggling to make a connection between her humax box with a scart lead to her t.v. which has hdmi socket. I have looked on c.p.c website and can't seem to find a suitable lead? I would be grateful if anyone had any ideas on how to make this work.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Do you have information about what model the Humax and TV are?

It may be that the TV doesn't have a SCART connector, but it could have RGB RCA sockets on the back - something like:
Screenshot_20220219-174259_Chrome.jpg
If this is the case a simple SCART to RGB RCA + audio lead will do.

If not, SCART to HDMI converters are available, such as:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/LiNKFOR-Converter-Adapter-Supports-Headphone-Scart-HDMI/dp/B078JJMR5J
(Cheaper alternatives are available!)

They work, but are complex and would only be suitable when other options aren't available (I use this to connect an old Amiga to my HDMI monitor).
It could be far more convenient to buy a modern Humax replacement!

I hope that makes sense :)

Last edited:
You'd actually be better off giving the HDMI adapter a miss. Here, I'll explain...

All of the SCART-to-HDMI adapters I have looked at use the most basic signal out of SCART which is the composite feed. This is the one you'd associate most with the yellow phono/RCA plug/socket.

Most TVs still have a composite input of some description, whether direct via a yellow RCA socket, or via a shared composite/Component input where the socket is green, or via an AV input using a 3.5mm jack. This one uses an adapter cable with jack on one end and yellow, red and white RCA sockets on the other.

The main points here are that any Scart to HDMI adapter doesn't use the RGB signal from SCART which would be the best quality. What it uses is the lowest grade video connector, and your TV already has as an input in some form or other. The adapter then does nothing that a SCART TO RCA adaptor doesn't.

Whats more, the processing in a £400 / £600 / £1000 TV will do a better job of upscaling composite to the screen resolution than some £20-£30 adapter cable from a faceless Chinese factory.

Just because the adapter involves HDMI doesn't make it better than composite. It may actually be worse!

A direct feed from a simple SCART to RCA cable may we'll be better and could even save you a few ££s too.

Sponsored Links
All of the SCART-to-HDMI adapters I have looked at use the most basic signal out of SCART which is the composite feed. This is the one you'd associate most with the yellow phono/RCA plug/socket
Mine definitely uses RGB for the conversion; I made the cable to the Amiga - not a composite connection in sight! ;)
It does a passable job, but nothing like having a CRT!

Mine definitely uses RGB for the conversion; I made the cable to the Amiga - not a composite connection in sight! ;)
It does a passable job, but nothing like having a CRT!

Blimey, Amigas. I haven't had my hands on one of those since an Amiga500(Plus??) in the late 80s.

Did Amigas have SCART out? It's so long ago. I remember the sound though, that was really good.

Blimey, Amigas. I haven't had my hands on one of those since an Amiga500(Plus??) in the late 80s.

Did Amigas have SCART out? It's so long ago. I remember the sound though, that was really good.

Amiga's didn't have SCART, but a 23 pin(!) D sub video connector; and with a little bit of manipulation, this can be connected to a SCART lead.

.... its a long time since I made up the cable, so for curiosity, I just rechecked my wiring.
It turns out I was wrong :oops:

I have connected the composite line along with the RGB, and when I disconnected this, the HDMI converter failed. :(
All of the SCART-to-HDMI adapters I have looked at use the most basic signal out of SCART which is the composite feed
You were right! Thank you.

BTW, my A1200 is connected to the net, and I have used it to post a couple of comments on this forum. However, having only 10 Meg of RAM doesn't lend itself to the slickest browsing experience!

10Meg!!!

WmKrOMrTFFhPW.gif

I remember when 512k of RAM meant you had a smoking hot PC :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

You might still be correct though with your convertor. RGB via SCART requires a separate sync signal for timing since there's no sync on Green. The composite signal provides that, and without it you'll get no image even if the ADC can accept video RGB. It all depends on the chip accepting RGB video or being limited to just converting composite video.

I still stand by my comment though that all the SCART to HDMI convertors I have looked at just use composite, but that doesn't mean an RGB version doesn't exist.

I have a couple of old scalers kicking around; a Lumagen and an iScan VP50 I think. One or both could accept SCART RGB+comp sync (RGBs) and output that as a HDMI signal. This used to be the cleanest way to get access to SD Sky at 576i. The HDMI out for the SD channels direct via HDMI from the box looked pants thanks to Sky's crappy internal conversion to 576p. RGB SCART to HDMI is possible then, but each one of those scalers was the thick end of £1200 IIRC.

Last edited:
I remember when 512k of RAM meant you had a smoking hot PC :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
This one has an 8Meg RAM expansion on a 68030 25MHz accelerator card - zooming! :D
You might still be correct though with your convertor. RGB via SCART requires a separate sync signal for timing since there's no sync on Green. The composite signal provides that, and without it you'll get no image even if the ADC can accept video RGB. It all depends on the chip.
Absolutely right again!
Just pulled out pin 15 and lost red, it is RGB! :)

Useful knowledge. What's the SCART to HDMI convertor you're using, and is it still made? It might help the OP.
The one I have is unavailable, but the one in the link:
If not, SCART to HDMI converters are available, such as:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/LiNKFOR-Converter-Adapter-Supports-Headphone-Scart-HDMI/dp/B078JJMR5J
(Cheaper alternatives are available!)
Has exactly the same case and port layout, so I'm relatively confident it has similar internals! :)

And from the description, it states support for RGB:
Screenshot_20220220-151723_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back