HDMI Wi-Fi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to purchase a 55" LG OLED TV and a Blue Ray recorder. The two will be connected by HDMI. To avoid replacing the SCART lead already embedded in my wall, I learn that this can be avoided by using WiFi HDMI.
I look at what is available and immediately get confused as to what I actually need. The available information is gobbledegook to me. All I thought I would want is two HDMI transmitter/receiver one in the TV HDMI socket and the other in the Recorder HDMI socket.
It does not seem to be that simple from what I see what is available. There are all sorts of variations and price ranges which leaves me speechless.
Can any 'Smart Arse' tell me what I actually need for a performance similar to that of an HDMI Cable.

HELP !!!!!!!!!

Sponsored Links
The cost of such a device surely it would be cheaper to chase a new hdmi into the wall.

That depends on what I need. I see there are WiFi HDMI 'thingies' for around £30 for two, similar to a HDMI Cable.

Do you have a link for that one you are referring to? I previously considered doing this to watch my CCTV from loft to downstairs TV but the cheapest ones I could find came in over £100. Was easier to run 2 x cat6 and use a hdmi over ethernet adaptor.

The general rule that I follow is if it can be wired it always should. While wireless technology has come a long way nothing beats a cable. If you have found something for £30 I would be interested researching its quality and maybe ordering one myself.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi lamchamps - this is the type of thing I was looking at but it may not be the correct device for the application I am trying to achieve hence my call for advice.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Keizee-HDM...UTF8&qid=1536693374&sr=8-9&keywords=wifi+hdmi
The specification dialogue is a mystery to me due to my ignorance of the technology, this device may just be for laptop mirroring to a TV and not HDMI TV to Recorder. All I see is HDMI WiFi, the rest of the Spec baffles me.

Short version:

1) Don't waste your time with the thing you found at £15. It's not what you want

2) Wireless HDMI kits cost £100-£250, but their operation depends a lot on the house they're going in, and they're limited to 1080p. Too flaky and too short term

3) You're planning on buying an expensive telly. Do the wiring job properly. Bury some mini trunking in wall. Add an extra power point to run the sound bar you'll probably have to install. Plan to run a HDMI for the recorder, a HDMI or Optical for the sound bar, when things change - which they will - the mini trunking will allow you to swap cables easily

Long version with explanations:

The thing you've found is for connecting a mobile phone or a tablet PC to a TV using a derivative of wireless technology called mirroring. If you haven't heard of this before, it allows whatever is being viewed on the portable device to be seen on the TV. In short, the TV mirrors what's seen on the smaller device.

The manufacturer's description is somewhat misleading. It talks about transmitter and receiver technology. Yes, there's a two-mirrors way communication, but not in a way that's useful for connecting a Blu-ray recorder to a TV. To do that would require the transmitter to take a HD 1080p signal and then convert it to something that can be transmitted via a wireless connection. The processing power to do that doesn't yet come in little adapters costing under £15. I think you were already on your way to the same conclusion.

The design of these little devices apes that of Google Chromecast. That's deliberate. They're trying to ride of the coat tails of a successful product and hoping to steal some sales.

What you're looking for is the proper version of a wireless HDMI transmitter/receiver kit. There are dozens to choose from. Prices start from just over the £100 mark. Here's an example. Typically you have two rather bulky boxes, sometimes with aerials sticking up too. Hiding the transmitter is probably achievable, but trying to conceal the receiver behind a TV will be more difficult. There are versions where the receiver part is a small dongle about the size of a pack of chewing gum. Here's an example. This is easier to conceal and, since it takes its power from the HDMI socket, it's also a simpler to install. The catch is that the reception may not be as good as the larger devices with aerials.

As a general class of products, the results that folk get with these vary quite widely. Part of that is to do with the design/cost/quality of the item itself. The rest is to do with the room or house it is being used in. These things work on a part of the wireless spectrum that is very crowded and somewhat susceptible to interference. The upshot is that two buyers could run exactly the same product over a similar distance; one of them could get great results, but the other might experience connection issues and drop out that makes it a nightmare to use. The thing is, there's no predictability to this unless you have the gear to do a wireless survey, and even then, you've only got a general idea rather than a rock solid guarantee.

This is potentially a lot of hassle for what was intended to be a quick fix to get around doing the job properly with a wired connection.

What are the alternatives?...

It depends whether your cable is directly plastered in or loose. But before talking about in-wall cabling, we should take a few moments to consider where technology is going and how to plan around changes in the future.

Your new TV is a premium product. Although prices have fallen, OLED TVs are still at the upper end of the market, and so you're spending at least double of what the same sized LED TV would cost. Forgive me being direct, but you've either decided on a premium TV because you want the performance, or because you buy the best available. Whichever it is, money is not the critical factor; and in that situation are you really going to spoil the ship for a ha'p'orth of tar?

Next, if SCART was your connection method of choice in the previous install, and given that we've had HD and HDMI around for over a decade, then I'd conclude you've either had the old TV a long time, or you got really bad advice at the time you had the original install done where someone said "Nah. mate. Don't bother with HDMI. SCART is all you need." Do you want to repeat the same sort of mistake this time?

Going for a wireless HDMI kit is a sticking-plaster solution. It will cope with basic HD signals and stereo sound, but won't handle 4K UHD and the clever automation features that are now part of HDMI. For these reasons, and the fact that you're probably dealing with a relatively short distance, I would look at alternative solution that are neater; more reliable; better future-proofed and offer greater support for useful features. This brings us back to doing something with the cabling in the wall.

Something else to factor in is the changes in TV technology since you last bought for this site. I'm thinking specifically about sound at this point.

CRT TV sets had lots of space for big speakers. A decent 32" widescreen set sounded pretty good. There was bass, and clarity and dynamics. The change to flat-screen TVs changed that. The sound from early generation Philips plasmas sets wasn't bad, and if you bought the column speakers for Pioneer screens they were okay too. But as the trend for ever thinner displays took hold then the space for speakers got smaller and smaller. This is something that technology couldn't (and still can't) overcome. It's basic physics. To make deep sound requires a diaphragm with either a large surface area or a big excursion. Both require space, but space is at a premium in thin tellies. For this reason, it's now a common thing to add a sound bar to any TV install.

Pulling all this together, your new telly will only show its best image with a 4K UHD HDR source. That means a subscription to premium Netflix or Amazon Prime or Sky Q box sets & films or hooking up a 4K UHD Blu-ray player. Netflix streaming will be built in. You might need something external to do Amazon Prime. You'll definitely need HDMI cables to do Sky or 4K UHD Blu-ray.

In addition, you'll want decent sound. That means adding a sound bar and provisioning for the cable (HDMI or Optical) and something for power to it.

Finally, no-one knows the future, except we know it'll be different at some point. So while we can't plan for stuff we don't know about or that doesn't yet exist, what we can do is plan for the day when that change comes and make things as easy for ourselves as possible. When it comes to cabling for TVs, that means being able to change cables easily. Mini-trunking buried in the wall will help to do that. Pull through the new leads while pulling out the old.

That's it.

If this and any other posts helped you, then pay the authors the compliment of hitting the thanks button. It shows your appreciation and marks the reply for those looking for answers in the future.

Last edited:
They carry a series of digital 0s and 1s -- the signal is either on or off.

When I used SCART cables in the past the quality of the cable and connector mattered as the signal is analogue and was subject to noise and distortion.

The only time you may need a gold-plated connector or a more expensive cable is if carrying the signal over a longer distance.

Thanks everyone so much for your Help and invaluable advice.
The decision is made and that is to replace my present SCART lead with an HDMI Cable. The mistake I made when I installed the SCART lead was not to install mini trunking - Lesson learned.
Thanks again everyone.

They carry a series of digital 0s and 1s -- the signal is either on or off.

When I used SCART cables in the past the quality of the cable and connector mattered as the signal is analogue and was subject to noise and distortion.

The only time you may need a gold-plated connector or a more expensive cable is if carrying the signal over a longer distance.

It's a common misconception that the signal is either on or off. It's also a gross oversimplification.

Time is the constant factor. When sending very little data down the line then the pulses will look like what we imagine which is a square wave.

As the amount of data increases, which it does in the jumps from standard definition to high def to ultra high definition, then we need to send a lot more pulses down the line inside the same time period. When this happens, the individual pulses no longer have straight verticals. They have progressively steeper slopes the higher the pulse rate (frequency). That's because the electical characteristics of the cable such as capacitance and inductance become more significant factors.

Noise is an issue too. This is both noise from outside the cable but also noise from the cable pairs affecting each other. The pairs are balanced, and so the noise itself can be neutralised, but where it may have altered individual bits then that can't be undone.

Fortunately for us, as long as these issues stay below a certain threshold then it looks like the HDMI cable works.

With a well-made cable, the margin between that threshold and the cable's performance is wide. There's a lot of scope for errors and issues elsewhere in the system. A good cable isn't the wekest link.

On a poorly made cable it's a much narrower gap. The cable may be pulling down the overall performance margin of the system, so if some other item degrades then the balance is tipped earlier with the poor lead.

Price is no indication of performance.

Gold plating makes sod-all difference. For a start, the conductivity of nickel is the same as gold, so the metal that the plugs-ends are made fromis just as good without gold plating.

Second, the thickness of the gold layer is too thin to make any kind of positive contribution to the electrical properties of the lead.

Gold plating is a bit of bling to raise the perceived value.

For cables that need to carry the signal over distance, we'd all be far better served if the manufacturers used copper wire instead of aluminium, and thicker conductors.

If this and any other posts helped you, then pay the authors the compliment of hitting the thanks button. It shows your appreciation and marks the reply for those looking for answers in the future.

Last edited:
Thanks Lucid for the explanation. But what I would like advice on is 'What Cable Should I Buy".
If expense is not he determining factor, and relatively thick copper conductors are advised with external screening and a construction to avoid inter-cable interference, and nickel plated connectors - What cable satisfies those criteria and from where can I obtain one?

Thanks again Lucid for a very detailed and comprehensive explanation and options. I am nearly an expert now, but I will have to learn your explanation verbatim if I want to sound like one, but I am so much wiser for your time and effort for which a thank you so much.
My old TV is a 50" Samsung LED TV bought about 8 years ago. it seemed OK at the time but it's viewing angle is abysmal and quality of picture and deep blacks, contract and definition is very bad when comparing with what is presently on the Market. The only source of comparison I really have is numerous visits to the likes of PC World at which the technical ability of the staff questionable. The LG OLED picture quality is the market leader from what I see, but I am told the sole source of OLED screens is LG and the likes of Sony buy their screens from LG. The other comparable perfomance is the Samsung QLED. Although I do think the LG OLED has the edge. The trouble of course with using these in store displays as a comparison is that the demonstration pictures are derived from highly selective images and presented via USB devised so the picture you see is not the picture you are going to get in home.
I use aerial signal source and don't use SKY or Netflix or Amazon Prime for a variety of reasons. What drives my decision for a new set is picture quality, sound via a Sound Bar and Blue Ray for recording from aerial transmitted rubbish. Cost is not really an issue but picture quality is, and I may be being hood winked by the likes of PC world who show pictures from USB sources and therefore is not a fair comparison to what you get at home. Advice from sales people are based on sales performance and knowledge which is questionable and in most cases even less than My very very limited experience and Know How.
Your advice has been invaluable to me and for that thank you again so much.

SCART should be ditched for sure. HDMI connected from player to TV is all you need. A good TV aerial connected to TV too, and you will get HD freeview no problem.

There is no point in buying an LG OLED if you are not feeding it high res material, so blu-ray, ultra blu-ray 4k, or smart TV / box with 4K video streaming is what you need.

Might as well run some ethernet or sort out the Internet wifi, as in time, discs will probably become obsolete.

Thanks Lucid for the explanation. But what I would like advice on is 'What Cable Should I Buy".
If expense is not he determining factor, and relatively thick copper conductors are advised with external screening and a construction to avoid inter-cable interference, and nickel plated connectors - What cable satisfies those criteria and from where can I obtain one?

This is where retailing in the UK sucks.

The country is so obsessed with price and getting things "for cheap " (I so hate the grammar in that phrase) that no-one is doing a really good job of educating customers about what to buy because, when push comes to shove, so few put their money where their mouth is. For this reason, it's hard to point you towards a good HDMI cable where the specs are (a) accurate and (b) meaningful.

The best I can do is suggest the Amazon Basics cable.

It uses solid copper conductors, and the wire gauge is on par or better (thicker) than its peers. There's a double layer shield, and anecdotally, there are enough satisfied users to suggest that they work in a wide range of applications. This then suggests that the shielding is adequate that the cable doesn't cause itself any issues even at

A 1.8m cable is under a fiver. It's available as a twin pack for under £8. Longer lengths are available too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back