HD connections

G

gerryk

Hello One & All,
Could anyone help me set up my TV, DVD Rec and Sat Rec. They are all HD.
I have 3 HDMI inputs on the TV, and 1 Output each on the DVD Recorder and the Sat Rec.
I can use two HDMI cables from the DVD and SAT Rec to the TV, but then
how do I get a HD signal from the Sat Rec to the DVD Recorder? I want to avoid using Scart connectors as they do not pass HD signals.
Thanks to anyone who can help.

Sponsored Links
Are you sure the Sat recorder is HD?

It's unusual (but not unheard of) to have a device that is truly HD that doesn't have a HDMI output. The reason is that the content providers (film companies, TV production companies etc) don't want HD content available in an unencrypted or unprotected form.

Component video - (3 x phono connectors: red, green, blue) will allow up to 1080p/60 domestic HD resolution. But it has no anti-copy protection. Mostly it was/is used for upscaling DVDs. Any HD capable device should allow Component out at 720p/1080i for HD material from off air TV without the content protection flag. But as soon as anything with content protection is received/played then the box might limit the Component out to 576p.

So, in short, just check that the Sat box is really HD and not just upscaling SD transmissions. You can use Component video. Just beware though that any true HD programming might trigger the limited resolution Component output. In which case you'd be equally well off using RGB SCART and letting the TV scale up.

Thanks ChrisFrost, for that info on HD. I only record from air transmissions, and have always used Scart. I did not realize that HD was so tied down and restricted. Due to gradual upgrades, I now have all my AV equipment with the word HD emblazed on them and thought I might utilize it.
I think its back to Scart recording for me!

Sponsored Links
Surely the DVD recorder won't have an HD input of any kind, as DVD isn't an HD format.
Its HDMI output may well upscale to HD (many SD devices with HDMI outputs do this), but I doubt it's got an HD input.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back