scart and/or hdmi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
im putting a plasma tv in our new extention, and getting sky+ box fitted, the sky box has a scart connection and the new telly only has one scart point, im also putting in a dvd player which can be connected by hdmi, is it better to connect skybox to tv with the scart and dvd to the tv with hdmi or to connect the skybox and dvd together then into the tv?
cheers

Sponsored Links
why not have both conected to tv via hdmi?

:eek: haha dont confuse me even more!!!!!!!!!
is hdmi better? think the sky box comes with scart so assumed that was what to use, do you suggest i get hdmi for both as that will be better
cheers

what sky box you actually getting? give me a link if you dont mind, if your not getting the sky hd box it might not have hdmi

Sponsored Links
well according to sky the sky+ box is hd ready, so will have hdmi, so yes conect both via hdmi leads.

my sky hd box came with the hdmi lead, if yours dose not and you need a hdmi, please dont buy one from a shop for £20 or more, a £3 one off ebay is all you need.

please dont buy one from a shop for £20 or more, a £3 one off ebay is all you need.
Agreed, you should pay no more than around the £10 mark. Sometimes with the really cheap cables (£3) the bulid quality can suffer.

cheers, its getting fitted on wed so hopefully the guy will use an hdmi

cheers, its getting fitted on wed so hopefully the guy will use an hdmi

he will, infact tell him that you want him using the hdmi lead.

cheers, i will, ive just dug out an hdmi lead that came with the sky box i have fitted in the living room and fitted that, the difference is brilliant, i have my living room tv on the wall with the dvd, wi, and cable box built into the old fireplace, we had virgin tv before which was connected with a scart so when the new sky box went in the guy had connected it with the scart as that was what was sticking out of the wall rather than drop the new hdmi down (i took me 2 mins fishing about to get it out the b ottom end as there is the full chimney void behind the tv, must have been too much work for him haha
cheers for the advice
im actually going to fit the tv on tuesday night and have all the holes drilled through the wall to the cupboard behind it so that everything is hidden, so that the guy can just blast on and fit everything without any hassle, will post a pic when its done :LOL:

... ive just dug out an hdmi lead that came with the sky box i have fitted in the living room and fitted that, the difference is brilliant
It should be !

Another thing to watch out for, though probably not with a new install, is the installer fitting a SCART lead as well as the HDMI. A friend recently got Sky+HD and I could tell it wasn't set up right within 5 seconds of seeing it :rolleyes: The installer had replaced the old Sky box and plugged all the cables back into it - so the TV saw the signal on SCART and switched to that.

Since SCART is only SD, the picture was "inferior" to HDMI on the full-HD TV they have - especially is it has some quite distinct artifacts when upscaling SD which is what told me it wasn't on HD.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back