Science Museum radio controlled watch.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I presume these were made for the Science Museum shop but they are no longer listed there although they are available from several other watch sellers.

The problem is that when the battery needs changing its impossible to get them to reset to the correct time without following the instructions. Apparently even with the instructions its very difficult because they are so badly written.

Does anyone have the instructions or know what has to be done?

Tony

Sponsored Links
usually with the clocks its a case of remove and reinsert batteries to initiate the search for the transmitter, perhaps you could try that several times for the watch?

Because of size and capacity limitations with batteries in the watches they usually only update a couple of times a day unlike the clocks

Weren't these early atomic watches all made by Junghans? That may help with a search

I have a casio one which only tunes into the signal in the early hours of the morning.

And you may have to place it on a window cill to get the signal

You can only do this on a clear and sunny day so first read the post on global warming.

Then ...

You insert the new battery, and place the watch on your head.

Standing in the rear garden facing due West you outstretch your right hand in front of your body at a 45 degree angle from the ground. You then outstretch your left arm perpendicular to both your right arm and the ground.

You remain in this position until both shadows created by your arms are superimposed and, at this point, take the watch from your head and squeeze the bezel.

It will now be set correctly to silly tw@t time ... I've often wondered who bought these watches :LOL:

MW

Sponsored Links
Ohhhh,, you mean a sundial Mega.. Thanks for clearing that one up me old sunshine. ;)

Roughcaster.

You can only do this on a clear and sunny day so first read the post on global warming.

Then ...

You insert the new battery, and place the watch on your head.

Standing in the rear garden facing due West you outstretch your right hand in front of your body at a 45 degree angle from the ground. You then outstretch your left arm perpendicular to both your right arm and the ground.

You remain in this position until both shadows created by your arms are superimposed and, at this point, take the watch from your head and squeeze the bezel.

It will now be set correctly to silly t**t time ... I've often wondered who bought these watches :LOL:

MW
Don't forget though, the length and elevation of the Gnomen is critical. ;) ;)

Has Mod 8 edited MW post again? :rolleyes:

It looks like the funny bits have been removed

Back