scratch then top coat day after

He He... No mate... im not that good that i can hold things in both hands and walk on stilts :D

Dont think i will ever progress to that stage... Will leave that to the pros :D

Sponsored Links
Cheers empip,

Its always nice when you get a positive comment..

Can anyone help with this problem ?

How do i finish off the end ?
soffitend.jpg

Is there a piece of plastic trim made for this ?

Cheers

Mick

Uk Robert said:
Been looking at this site for a couple of days now and it has been very interesting source of info.
That rendering looks to be the finish I hope to get! In the past I`ve been quite successful at plastering, not perfect, but reasonably good for my own bungalow. However I`m now attempting to render and I`m quite impressed with your results Mick!
I`ve got a couple of qustions though:

1) I was going to use 3-1 mix for the top coat with no lime. What does the lime do?

2) I`ve put my angle beads on using both dry-wall adhesive and bonding plaster and they have set rock-hard now. I have bought lots of metal lathe to put against the smooth concrete exterior blockwork but I`m having difficulty attaching it to the blocks. Galvanised staples were either crumbling the block or bending. Masonry nails do not have a big enough head to nip-up over the mesh, so do I bond that to the blockwork as well?
What would you do?!

Guy's,

You should only use plastic or stainless steel for the beads and stainless steel eml (mesh) if thats the method you use for a key.

Galvanised will rust - which in Micks case as he's only used them on the angle beads will be unsightly but not distastrous.

UK Rob, DO NOT use galvanised mesh / eml and use stainless fixings and washers. Any other type and within a year the rust will bleed through your render and paint etc and will look awful.

Bead up with a sticky mix of render and hold in place with nails - leave for a day so as not to disturb them. Next day remove nails and scratch coat.

Good luck!

Sponsored Links
Cheers for that :(

If i knew the galvanised is likely to cause a problem in the near future, i would never have used it :cry:

Thanks for making my day....

dougalhouse, are you sure?? Galvanised steel doesn't rust surely???? Why bother galvanising otherwise?

Well to be safe, I got the chisel out yesterday and hacked off all the render around the galvanised beeds.

Ordered plastic beeds from screwfix so i will redo the corners this weekend.

I have cut back the render about 8 inches from the corner's so i hope once i install the plastic ones i can patch it all up without it looking to noticable...

Plastic beads are a doddle to fit...simply butter up the corners in full both sides with some gobbo and place the bead on and push it tightish against the wall/corner so that the muck squeezes out of the holes. Plumb up the bead, which if your walls are built straight should take no doing. However make sure to use two coat beads and not single coat. With the two coat you set the bead as above but you can then continue to scratch coat the wall and there will still be enough depth to top it out.
Galvo beads are a no no outside and stainless are expensive and not as easy as plastic to set.

If that is the case legs, Why the fecking hell do they sell galvanised labeled as external beeds ?

This has really passed me off, And no i havent spelt PASSED wrong. i just wanted to ensure everyone knew just how PASSED off i am :)

Anyway legs, What you think of my render and plastering skills ? you think its OK for a guy trying to build his own extension ?

Mick

I think you have made a corking job of your rendering Mick, give yourself a pat on the back mate, though personally I thought 6:1 a little weak myself, but you state its a solid finish so nothing to worry about and besides we know I can not agree with anything J.Bonding says!!!

Perhaps you are confuseing external angle beads for the common term of describing an angle bead for use on an external angle of a wall rather than for use externally as in outdoors??

You can buy external angle cover trims for the p.v.c. facias and h trim for the horizontal to vertical end unions.

You know what legs, You could be right.... Am i thick as ****e or what :p

What a complete KNOB ive been... i knew someone would butter me up and make me feel as if it wasnt really my fault... :D

Mick Leek said:
Well to be safe, I got the chisel out yesterday and hacked off all the render around the galvanised beeds.

Ordered plastic beeds from screwfix so i will redo the corners this weekend.

I have cut back the render about 8 inches from the corner's so i hope once i install the plastic ones i can patch it all up without it looking to noticable...

mick you didnt did you :eek: :eek: looking at your pics they look like external beads to me, galvanised are usually not as shiney as them, its very hard to patch upto render, i would of stuck with them and if they were the wrong ones and they rusted i would change them.

Yes i did :oops:

dougalhouse Said i would have problems so i felt sick after all the hard work and decided to hack it off... I intended to re do the corners on Saturday (tomorrow)

Have i ****ed up big time JB :cry:

You took them off after you had completed the job!!! I didnt realise that. Yeah I would have left them also, they will begin to perish in time but in years rather than in the short term.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back