scratch then top coat day after

Sponsored Links
Just been speaking to a metallurgist who reckons that galvanized steel is only coated with a thin layer of zinc which can be easily damaged, but will only oxidise where exposed to the atmosphere. In this case the exposed corners. So in theory rust bleed could be prevented by priming and painting. Difficult to prevent long term scratching of the paintwork though.

Sorry to cause you more work Mick. As you'd already done the work I didn't expect you to take them off. :eek:

It was my intention to stop UK Robert using galvanised eml and masonary fixings in his project. You must use stainless!!

JB, yes thankyou for bringing that up! I'll happily admit I have had problems with some rendering jobs and my post highlighted a wide range of issues where more experienced guys couldn't agree on methods etc ;) but lets not drag that up again eh??

I rectified my problem, thanks to the guys like yourself and Legs who post on this site and I was trying to give something back!! :p

Sorry Mick, I didn't mean to scare monger, but at least it will look better now! :oops:

dougalhouse said:
Sorry to cause you more work Mick. As you'd already done the work I didn't expect you to take them off. :eek:

It was my intention to stop UK Robert using galvanised eml and masonary fixings in his project. You must use stainless!!

JB, yes thankyou for bringing that up! I'll happily admit I have had problems with some rendering jobs and my post highlighted a wide range of issues where more experienced guys couldn't agree on methods etc ;) but lets not drag that up again eh??

I rectified my problem, thanks to the guys like yourself and Legs who post on this site and I was trying to give something back!! :p

Sorry Mick, I didn't mean to scare monger, but at least it will look better now! :oops:

maybe PVA and re-do :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Cheers guys,

I tried to re do the corners last weekend :cry: :cry: :cry: Looked fecking horrible afterwards.. I have since hacked the lot off and will re do THIS coming bank holiday weekend....

Nothing like doing the same job twice.... Wasnt that expensive for the materials, its just that this weekend could have been spent finishing off the interior....

Having problems with the bay window also :( everything seems to be going tits up at the moment...

I made the window opening the same as this one

Baywindow.jpg

and the finished window looks like this

baynow.jpg

Those are images of the window i did in the main house. I wanted the same window in the new extension so from the outside there is one bay either side of the front door...

The company that originally made it has gone bust and can i find another company that uses the same profile ???? Can i fliping hell.

dont ask the profile i dont know make... i just took piccie and keep taking it around double glazing firms...

Oh well, soon be 12 months since i started all this that i told the wife would be finished before Christmas.. :)

yes guys getting it off her in doors as well...

Mick

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: Never mind mick atleast you got the experience ;) Mick this is one of your previous posts, Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:26 pm Post Subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good,

While your here, a quick question. I did the scratch mix as follows

5 parts sand
1 part hydrated lime
1 part cement
with water proofer added

Now i know the top coat should be a weaker mix, do i make it 6 sand ?

Thanks JB,

I didnt want to say at the time because you had done it , it probably would of been sound but it was a bit weak. maybe go with 4-1-1 on your scratch, what was it like to get off?

Hi JB,

PLEASE in future tell me if i am cocking up :) It went rock hard... Scratch was hard as iron day after. the top coat also was hard.. very hard. in fact, in places it has brought the concrete block off with it.

i got fed up with the hammer and chissel so i got the old SDS out with a 3" chissel.

Cheers JB.

Mick

Sorry Mick,

I feel terribly guilty for causing you more work. You are obviously a perfectionist which is a fine quality in a man!!!! I'll keep my big mouth shut in future or be more specific in my comments.

If I lived anywhere near Lao I'd come round and help. (not sure if I'd be welcome tho) :confused:

dougalhouse

I wouldnt say i'm a perfectionist, just that with being my own house and with no intentions of moving, i just want the job rights first time so i can forget about it...

I have managed to build this extension all by myself, had a little help from my Brother and a few friends but NONE are builders. I would hate all the hard work i have put in be spoiled by a fey pieces of angle beed costing less than a tenner...

Dont worry about telling me the bad news mate, glad you did in a way... You can buy me a pint if anyone ever organises a " meet the face behind the name" kind of get together...

Cheers

Mick

It would be my pleasure!! :D

Might I suggest hi-jacking Legs' stag do which I believe he is having in Blackpool some time soon!!

Really ?

I'm only 25 miles from there :)

Been to many a stag night at blackpool...

Legs if your watching this topic you simply MUST go to funny girls...

Will open your eyes and give you a taste of what you could have had :D

Hi legs, :D I knew that would get you interest... Thats Twice now i have managed to distract you :) ... the future Mrs legs will be warning you against me .

But seriously, You MUST go to funny girls night club. I'm sure if you google it, you will find a link. Ring and get VIP tickets.

Honestly even if its only for a couple of hours, its simply the most fun and eye opening experience you will have... and before you say it NO i'm not gay,I just love a GOOD night out...

if you go during the day, do the "walk of faith" in blackpool tower.... Its a piece of 6' X 6' 15mm float glass suspended 300 feet in the tower with NOTHING below but a clear drop to the roof below... Ensure you and your mates have had a few sherbets before you do it, just to add a little more interest..

A visit to the Manchester club is also worth a few mins... plenty of scantly clad women in there wearing nothing more than a G string and a bra often frequent that bar.... Ohhhhh how it brings back memories of when i was younger :p

Have fun mate.....

Mick.

Do they have a Netto in Blackpool thats sells White Lightning and cheap cider, with a couple of nice benches outside....That would suit me perfectly!!! :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back