Scratched Oak Floor...

awm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, these forums really helped me out last time, so...next job! :)...

I've got this floor...

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Solid-Wood-Flooring/invt/157983

But unfortunately it's been ruined by my two dogs over the past year with scratches...

We're moving out now so thinking of sanding it down then varnishing with a darker colour? Just wondered if that's the right way to go? Any tips???

Alex

Sponsored Links
yes keep with the grain or the scratches once varnished will show up as bad as now.

Sponsored Links
Looks like one of the dogs had an accident on it.

Leave it as it is, tell the landlord that the marks add character. :LOL:

you knackerd in my humble oppinion those scratches are deep you only have about 3 to 5mm off wood to play with and some off those scratches look very deep

Best leave it, and tell the owner to take it out of your deposit. There is nothing worse than an tenant that does work on a property without telling the owner.

Deposits nowadays are placed in escrow and there is proper arbitration. By all means get quotes to repair the damage.

The sanders you use for floor aren't a diy tool. Leave it to the professionals.

The link shows it's solid 18mm oak.
Dogs claws surely can't do that to oak???
Or is Wickes' oak extra soft?

Possibly extra soft then??? Sorry...my house-mate just thinks it's worth a try but I agree with you guys, basically it's f**ked.

Seriously take responsibility for your actions. You don't know what insurance the owner has. It is not for you to mess up further.

It is pretty selfish of you to try and cover the fact, to save embarrassment. Contrary to popular belief there are some pretty decent landlords out there who are understanding, and actually go out of their way to be helpful. My dad is one. Tenants broke a plate glass table. In the end they didn't pay because the insurance covered it. Previously tenant ruined a solid wood door, by deciding to put a hook on it, Except the guy was too stupid to put it symmetrically in place and at the correct height, and didn't even drill holes through the hard wood, so was unable to muster enough elbow grease to screw it in causing more damage. My dad didn't even follow it up, although he could have quite reasonably charged him for a new door.

Chances are you will have to pay something in this case, but that is to be be expected. Forget about your pride, it reflects better on you if do the decent thing. Those are the sort of tenant people are after, not perfect but take responsibility.

People who are naive with little life experience think they can just do anything in a rental property. Read the contract, you can't. It is not your property. This is not a minor repair.

Completely agree with you 0000, I sub-let from my housemate, this post was just to prove my point to him really.

Thanks for your honesty though.

Well that makes you a hypocrite, unless you were unaware, which I doubt. Unless of course there was an arrangement with the owner, which is unlikely to be for very long without your name on the contract too.

He holds ultimate responsibility as the contract is will him. He is basically the worst kind of tenant.

Although you did the damage. There is nothing stopping you from walking away other than guilt or loyalty.

Actually they're his dogs, I just put mine on the post to make it straight forward. Basically posting on his behalf.

All I wanted to know was if it's possible or not.

Thanks for your response.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back