Scratched windscreen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 2019 VW Sharan and discovered a few scratches on the windscreen this week. I have no idea how they got there (neighbourhood kids or cats are my main suspects). I have quite a few on the bonnet too.
They're not really bad but I know they're there. Can anything be done for fine scratches on glass?

Sponsored Links

Check out YT. Plenty on there. Or just chuck a brick through it........:whistle:

Last edited:

Check out YT. Plenty on there. Or just chuck a brick through it........:whistle:

Years ago when there was no excess or loss of NCB on your insurance for a windscreen replacement, I decided I wanted a screen with a top tint. So I got a catapult and fired a stone at my windscreen, amazingly I missed and hit the bonnet, denting it. FFS !

Sponsored Links
If you can feel the scratch with your fingernail it's too deep to repair.

a trick used in optical restoration:

the scatch is visible because it captures and scatters the light falling on it. Paint it black inside the scratch or chip (a fine permanant marker like a Stabilo will do, but paint is more permanent) and polish any overspill off the surrounding surface, and it will not trouble you

I think you'd spend the rest of your life trying to sort your screen.....has anyone actually tried polishing the things?
I'd call Autoglass for some information or give it one with a centre punch :whistle:
John :)

the scatch is visible because it captures and scatters the light falling on it. Paint it black inside the scratch or chip (a fine permanant marker like a Stabilo will do, but paint is more permanent) and polish any overspill off the surrounding surface, and it will not trouble you

If you are interested in doing this, look for a marker that says it has "pigmented ink " for longest-lasting effect.

I'm sure it will not last as long on a windscreen exposed to the weather, as on a prism or lens.

Sponsored Links
Back