Screed v concrete

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to understand the reason people use screed instead of concrete for a floor.
What impact does wet UFH have on the choice of either (I know it is screed that is used but want to understand why). Screed seems to brittle v concrete.

Sponsored Links
I'm trying to understand the reason people use screed instead of concrete for a floor.
What impact does wet UFH have on the choice of either (I know it is screed that is used but want to understand why). Screed seems to brittle v concrete.

A screed is usually applied on a concrete floor not instead of.

Screeds (and there is a wide range of types) are used to level up uneven floors and/or to accommodate services, be it UFH or trunking for other services. If concrete is the right mix and the tradesmen know their stuff it can be finished to the required level without need for further levelling but you need it to be thick enough to accomodate the aggregate and be structurally sound. Commercially you will find powerfloated concrete is a very common finish, but there are rarely services in it except for ducts to allow services to be pulled through later.

As screed aggregates are small you can lay a thin screed bed where it would not be practical to lay concrete. There is very little structural strength in a screed. Both screeds and concrete are usually hard although some screeds can be soft. Brittle is not a term I would use for either.

Thanks. I guess the screed I've seen crumbles quite easily on temporary door thresholds etc as workmen go in and out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back