Screeding/dpm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

So in replacing the flooring in my hallway (old laminate) and have just finished removing it and upon doing so noticed that rank damp smell, is this normal?

I'm going to level the floor as it's terrible and re-lay oak flooring, now would be the time to sort any issues, from what I can tell it's had an additional layer of some red type cement on top of the orginal floor.

I'd like to know if the smell is any thing to worry about or is it just where the underlay has gotten wet over the years.

Many regards
Sean

Sponsored Links
I would anticipate that it's the water logged smell; let it dry out, and see if the smell goes, and then install the dpm and level the floor.

I had a similar problem and it turned out to be the natural damp coming through an old floor. The solution that Doggit suggests worked for me (ie Damp proof membrane with a laminate floor on top)

Thanks for the advice, I done some more investigation and in the corners where it's been council bodged in the past you can still see the old floor and it's like course sugar nothing solid about it at all hence the new top layer, my next door neighbor said they had done it years ago in his place at the same time because the floors had crumbled just like the rest of the concrete/mortar/render in the house, I have no idea what they done when they built the houses on this estate but it's like there was a cement shortage so they used a 20:1 mix, any how the damp smell is coming from the corners where the old floor is still exposed.

Sean

Sponsored Links
There are several dpms that you can use with laminate, but as the old stuff was so waterlogged, I suspect a more remedial action is needed. It may well require the re cement to be removed, a liquid dmp used with dry sharp sand thrown on it before it dries, and then use a flexible self levelling screed. You'll also need to take the dpm up the walls as well.

But this all begs the question of why the hallway is so wet. Is there a leaking pipe under the floor by any chance, or do you know what's causing the damp problem.

It's just the smell the old stuff I pulled up was dry to the touch.

Didn't explain properly the first time my bad, by getting wet over the years I meant someone split a drink it soaks thru dries out but sometimes you still get that smell abit like leaving the washing in the machine too long stills stinks when u dry it

If the smell i coming from the corners where it's still damp, then that needs to be treated first.

What would you recommend? Digging up the floor would be a nightmare because of the stairs and electric/gas cupboard that I've just spent what feels like forever sorting out so ideally would like to avoid it.

Cheers Sean

Sure, the gaps are not very big and kinda hard to see on a pic. if I disturb the corners it smells but left alone there's no smell.

Attachments

• IMG_5287.JPG
    IMG_5287.JPG
    114.8 KB · Views: 265
  • IMG_5283.JPG
    IMG_5283.JPG
    117.9 KB · Views: 275
  • IMG_5278.JPG
    IMG_5278.JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 290
  • IMG_5286.JPG
    IMG_5286.JPG
    101.2 KB · Views: 252
  • IMG_5277.JPG
    IMG_5277.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 285
All the skirting is already off in those pics, I'm fitting 167mm skirting so I just haven't painted that far down.

That sounds like a plan tho I'm gonna have to screed as I'm laying engineered oak boards on top and the current floor level is way out, it's like they dumped all the material in the middle and pushed it out to the edges leaving a bowl.

Cheers Sean

Liquid dpm - screed - laminate dpm - underlay - boards

How's that sound?

Cheers Sean

Doggit do you have much experience with this blackjack stuff?

1st I tried to mix some with water for primer as per manufacturer instructions and either I done something profoundly dumb or the manufacturer has never actually tried to mix it with water! Basically I ended up with 6 litres of brown water and about a football size lump of rubber, the water reacts with the stuff instantly, so I gave up on priming the 1st coat has now been down over 30hrs and shows no signs of drying properly it's very sticky so much that if u walk on it - it sticks to ya shoes and stays there leaving pathces everywhere, no idea how I'm meant to apply 2nd or 3rd coat with out the previous coat ending up on the bottom of my boots, it's a nightmare area as it's in the hallway and you can't go anywhere in The house without passing thru the hallway

Many regards

Sean

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back