Screened cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in heating and installing lots of Open Therm controllers. The cable that sends the data to & from the boiler - room stat is easily corrupt by spurious 'stuff' and one remedy is to use screened CY cable. I know to only earth the screen at one end but is there a neat prefered way of earthing it? It looks a right mess having un-platted it & rolled it up to put in an earth terminal? I have used earth sleeveing & ferules but it isnt always possible to use ferules? Any tricks of your trade out there?

Sponsored Links
You could cut the un-plaited strands short, twist together, and solder a length of stranded, insulated earth wire to it.
Then heat-shrink over the exposed screen and the soldered join.

How much?? ££ ££

OP: How thick is this screened data cable?

Sponsored Links
Proper glands.

whssign.gif

How much?? ££ ££
As much as is necessary (there are lower cost suppliers).

How much for a few glands wrt to the total cost of someone paying to have a fancy heating control system installed? I thought ecowarrior, being a professional, was looking for a professional solution to help him do a professional job.

There is much truth in the saying "Good work isn't cheap and cheap work isn't good".

But there is little value in pointlessly expensive solutions for the sake of it
The cable that sends the data to & from the boiler - room stat is easily corrupt by spurious 'stuff' and one remedy is to use screened CY cable.
STP?

And HTF have they ended up with cables and protocols which can be corrupted by "spurious stuff"? It's surely not high-speed long distance. Do the OpenTherm crowd not have a clue?

If that's what it costs, that's what it costs.
It is indeed what that product costs. However, if it were me, I would certainly be looking at possible alternative products/solutions - and would be particularly suspicious of the pricing policies of a company who can charge £2 for a nut (which many would expect to be supplied with the gland). ... all that, of course, assuming that a gland would be usable for the OP's application.

Kind Regards, John

I've no problem with expensive connectors where necessary and appropriate. Other methods may also be perfectly satisfactory.

TINA:
Do we know that these data cables are being terminated in a (metal) enclosure, where a gland would be appropriate? Or indeed anything about the enclosure, apart from there being an earth terminal in the vicinity?

That was just a picture that came up. It is a big gland. ... Try .... Spot the difference.
That's more like it - and 20p for a nut is more sensible than £2.

However, as I (and now also echoes) have said/implied, we don't yet know whether a gland (of any type/price) would be suitable for the OP's application.

Kind Regards, John

Of course we don't. He asked how the screening/braid is terminated.
He did, but none of us have yet asked the questions that really need to be asked before anyone could really decide what type of termination might be appropriate for the OP's application.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back