Screenwash additive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What do you boys up North where it's properly cold use to stop your screenwash freezing? Ready to use additive seems to be OK down to -4C and the concentrate says to use neat in winter.
I recall only needing a 25% mixture for protection to brass monkey levels. Have they had to use some less effective chemical for environmental reasons?

Sponsored Links
I use nearer a 50% or more mixture of concentrate / water.....as far as I know these solutions are just methanol based with a colouring agent.
The greater problem is freezing of the tubes and nozzles plus the chill factor when driving... Many times I use an aerosol de-icer held out of the window.
John :)

I mix 50/50 concentrate in winter, quite a few/ most new-ish cars have heated washer jets.

Is it because methanol is no longer used? Wasn't that used in cheap antifreeze which only lasted a year because the methanol boiled off?
I have heated jets but I don't want the tank to freeze and split. However in urban Surrey it rarely gets that cold.

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't want to use it undiluted as some recommend, it can't do the paintwork any good. From a bit of research it seems the more you pay , the lower the freezing point ( as you'd expect) Still, we're not expecting snow or severe temperatures in urban Surrey!

Back