Screw bulb socket wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Help please - I have a new ceiling light that takes the screw bulbs rather than pin socket. I have removed the existing ceiling rose and obviously have the 3 wires, earth , red (Live) and black (neutral). From the diagram supplied I cannot determine which is live and neutral on the screw socket as the instructions are in black and white and there are no \\\'L\\\' or \\\'N\\\' markings on the fitting or instruction, how should i wire it?
Should live (red) go to the connection that supplies the very end of bulb, and the neutral to the connection that touches the screw thread or vice versa?

Sponsored Links
Yes, the red (live/phase) goes to the centre contact on the bulb.

It's a clever idea, but so simple once you know (like most UK people I'd only done BC for a long time). If you grab hold of a ES fitting that might be cracked, or if you poke your sausage fingers inside when changing a bulb, you're almost certainly going to come into contact with the screw part, and may not reach the contact at the end. So the bit you're likely to touch is relatively safe if its Neutral.

Sponsored Links
JohnD said:
So the bit you're likely to touch is relatively safe if its Neutral.

unless its a multi lamp fitting, and some muppet has put the switch in the neutral... (though when you're doing your polarity tests, you should pick that fault up if it exists, as well as checking you've got the lampholder itself the right way around)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back