Screw-in bulbs blow too frequently

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. There's a page on this forum about lightbulbs which constantly blow:
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting:problems:failinglamps
I've had a good read of it but I suspect (corrent me if I'm wrong) it relates to the standard 'bayonet' bulb type. In my kitchen there are four recessed bulbs in the ceiling, the screw-in type, 2xR50 and 2xR80. They blow way too frequently especially the smaller, R50, bulbs. I screw them in as tight as possible for a good connection.

Is there a problem with this type of bulb or can anyone suggest a reason for their short lifespan?

My thanks for any replies.

Sponsored Links
Are you sure the lamps have blown? Are you able to test them when they fail? With screw-in fittings the contacts at the base of the fitting lose their flexibility over time and use, and eventually stop making contact with the lamp. Turn off the power, get into the fitting with a screwdriver blade or pair of long-nosed pliers, and gently tease out the contacts (careful - they can break off if you overdo it). Screw in the lamps again and turn on the power, and you may well find them working again. Just did this today with three light fittings.

PJ

Screw in lamps = cack.

If the contacts don't bend out of shape, the lamps will either work loose or jam into the socket so they can't be removed without breaking.

Sponsored Links
Thanks folks. Yes, I can be pretty sure the bulbs have blown. A tightening twist never works and a new bulb works immediately.

Too-frequent bulb death is either crap quality bulbs or loose terminals to the light fitting, or a bit of both.

PJ

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back