Bulbs constantly blowing!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The bulbs in my house are CONSTANTLY blowing! On average 2 go a week and it's different rooms but very often my son's bedroom or the hallways (they're not on the same circuit). We're stuck with the awful energy saving ones. When you're buying 2-3 a week it gets very expensive especially when expecting them to last ten years! Since Saturday we've had three go. All standard bayonet futtings. The only one that doesn't go is the chandalier (3 bulbs) in the front room. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
We thought that so started getting the more expensive ones £8-10 and it'smakes no difference. After a couple months we couldn't justify the cost as we were spending over £100 a month in bulbs! So i don't think it is that to be honest.

Sponsored Links
I meant because you can no longer buy the old fashioned ones with a filament that used to last years and have to buy energy saving ones.

I meant because you can no longer huy the old fashioned ones with a filament that used to last years and have to buy energy saving ones.
Oh, I see. LEDs are a more modern alternative and, provided you don't buy cheapo ones, generally last pretty well.

Kind Regards, John

You can still buy the filament bulbs if you look around.

I didn't realise that, thought they were banned years ago but just seen you can order them online. So is it not a concern that the bulbs go so often then as i was worried there might be a problem with electrics? Of the two to three we replace a week my son's is always one. Just concerned as the electrician made a bit of a messy job of the switches so just makes me wonder about the electrics underneath.

If they are not lasting take them back. Goods have to be of satisfactory quality and you have legal rights.

But having said that I'm puzzled. No one else has reported problems so perhaps there is something wrong with your supply. A good place to start is to measure the voltage or get someone else to.

Yes this has been a continuous problem since i moved in four years ago and is getting slowly worse. We've used many different qualities of bulb and brands. Our house was refurbished just before we moved in but i don't know what they did with the electrics. All the switches have had to be tightened and they are all fitted upside down! I think i will get someone out to check it not least because it is costing a fortune!

Yes this has been a continuous problem since i moved in four years ago and is getting slowly worse. We've used many different qualities of bulb and brands. Our house was refurbished just before we moved in but i don't know what they did with the electrics. All the switches have had to be tightened and they are all fitted upside down! I think i will get someone out to check it not least because it is costing a fortune!
There's really nothing about your electrical installation that could be causing the problem. However, as has been says, there is just a very outside chance that your house might be receiving electricity at an excessive voltage - so it would be worth getting someone to check at least that - it's probably only a 30 second job, once the person has got their tool box open!

Kind Regards, John

Other than the possible high voltage, other things which will destroy LEDs are excessive heat and defective connections causing flicker/arcing.

Are the light fittings fully enclosed or have shades where the top is totally enclosed/solid?
Do any of the lights flicker, or switches crackle when used?

Other than the possible high voltage, other things which will destroy LEDs are excessive heat and defective connections causing flicker/arcing.
The OP described these as "energy saving bulbs", which I took to mean CFLs (witness the fact that I told him that LEDs would be a 'modern alternative!), but maybe I was wrong.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back